• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Robert French new Chief Justice (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Robert French new Chief Justice of the High Court

WEST Australian Robert French will replace Murray Gleeson as Chief Justice of the High Court, the federal Government announced today.

Justice French, 61, who will be sworn in on September 1, is the 12th chief justice since the court was formed in 1903.

He is the first not to come from NSW, Queensland or Victoria and only the third West Australian to serve on the court after John Toohey and Sir Ronald Wilson.

Justice French was appointed to the Federal Court by the Hawke government in 1986 when he was only 39.

He founded the West Australian Aboriginal Legal Service, was the first president of the National Native Title Tribunal and the 1998 West Australian of the Year.

He has also served on almost every legal board of any significance in the past 20 years.

Widely regarded as its finest judge, he has sat on virtually every Federal Court appeal of significance in the past 10 years - even if he disappointed some by siding with the Howard government in the Tampa case.

Justice French headed the Liberal Club of University of Western Australia in Perth and stood against Kim Beazley Sr for the federal seat of Fremantle in 1969 at 22. He suffered a 3.5 per cent swing as he fell to a predictable defeat in the safe Labor seat.

Yet he showed flair on the hustings. He used a rock band, The Timepiece, for campaign events and his slogan was ``pop politics in the swinging seat''.

Earlier this year he gave a speech to a constitutional law conference on the topic Judicial Activism: Mythical Monsters'.

``I have been a judge for 21 years. The voices have kept at me and at me. Mellifluous, strident, sad, cool, persuasive, angry - voices demanding justice - voices insisting upon the law - some voices wanting both.''

In a recent speech to the Future of Federalism conference in Brisbane he spoke on co-operative federalism.

He said it may come to ``overshadow expansive interpretation of commonwealth power under the Constitution'' - as has been the case in the past decade. But he warns against ``an overall tendency to define as national that which was once local''.

``That may in turn be used in future argument favouring commonwealth control and accountability in respect of such matters. If the states are not perceived by electors as adequately discharging their constitutional responsibilities then such perceptions will feed into the legitimisation of national control. A shrinking federation will continue to shrink. The logical outcome is the singular state of a unitary federation.

``That is the federation you have when you do not have a federation.''

He suggested that Gough Whitlam's idea in the 1970s of provincial governments to replace state governments ``does not seem so radical now''.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Ah damn i wanted to be the first person to post about it :(

As if a law student on this forum (frigid, hfis?) was not interested enough to follow this development.

Anyway good find rafy, just wanted to add this: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24056147-2682,00.html.

Was really hoping it'd be CJ Spigelman who ascended to the HCA (posted in a thread about this, 2 nights ago).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
not happy that Spigelman wasn't picked. don't get me wrong - Bobby French is a fine, fine judge...

but because of my parochial eastern-seaboard-centric-ism and my alma mater links with our dear state Chief Justice, i'm somewhat saddened by the news. :(

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Bobness said:
Ah damn i wanted to be the first person to post about it :(

As if a law student on this forum (frigid, hfis?) was not interested enough to follow this development.

Anyway good find rafy, just wanted to add this: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24056147-2682,00.html.

Was really hoping it'd be CJ Spigelman who ascended to the HCA (posted in a thread about this, 2 nights ago).
So the Attorney General of South Australia has lobbied for the choice of Chief Justice of the HCA to be based on where the candidate resides. Considering that he's also the only state Attorney General who flagged that he wouldn't support an 18+ classification for video games because of his own personal moral crusade, I'm not surprised.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Dammit, I would also like to show my support for the Spigelman love brigade. Not the worst choice that could have been made at least; as the article points out, he is indeed a very fine FCA judge. Hopefully his future High Court judgements are reflective of this.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
oh god I just used precedent to rebut a typo, someone kill me now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)