• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rote learning (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Is rote learning economics a legitimately viable option? How about english (think teacher regurgitation in essays) ?

planino

HSC
Many do get away with rote learning in English, but this won't help you enjoy the subject and English will be a drag. Much easier to do well if you enjoy a subject.

With eco, you can get away with it in some aspects, but ask yourself "Why does this happen?" and extrapolate on bits of info given in the text book i.e. think about consequences + broader implications on an economy. E.g. Changes in the exchange rate is a cyclical factor affecting the BOGS balance. Now ask yourself "Why?", and think about what would happen to with a rise or a fall of the exchange rate.

Purely rote-ing both is an option, but you won't enjoy them as much and it'll be harder to do well, especially for Economics (quite conceptual in places e.g. market diagrams etc.) despite it being a humanity.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Is rote learning economics a legitimately viable option? How about english (think teacher regurgitation in essays) ?
I wouldnt rote learn economics - it's very much an applied subject and you need to be able to draw relationships between theory and practice, which requires critical thinking. Besides, I think it's good preparation for uni to actually try learning properly instead of just closing your mind off to the content and rote learning your way through it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)