• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sample Law Questions - Contract (1 Viewer)

Kazl0

HSC
I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a site or place or something where I could get some sample questions regarding contract. It would be even more helpful if there were answers to the questions. You see, I have a problem in answering Law questions as I delve into the irrelevant and when I don't I am not short/concise enough in what is relevant.

If I could get a hold of properly answered questions and get an idea what the examiners are really looking for in a standard answer it would help.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The best way to answer a problem question is to be as concise as possible when answering problem questions and to focus on the big issues which can be difficult when you see issues everywhere.

When you see a potential issue think hard whether it is that contentious, if it isn't and can be dealt with in a line or two just write something concise and simple, it is possible to apply the legal problem solving method in a line or two. e.g.

It is clear on the facts that there was a valid offer as it was made to a class of people (cite authority).

If you do this you can spend more time on the issues that need more depth e.g if you were doing a murder problem and intent is pretty clear but whether the person was alive (i.e. a fetus) then this requires a lot more time.

All I can say from a fellow person who sees problems everywhere is to practice and be disciplined, i've found mooting a big help as you are forced by time contraints to focus on only the critical issues and you basically practice legal problem solving everytime.

I'd also so make sure you stick to the legal problem question to ensure your response is structured e.g the one I use is:

1. Explain issue
2. State the law + cite authority
3. Apply the facts
4. Conclude

Lara1986

HSC
If you're after sample problems with answers, try having a look at some of the Butterworths Questions and Answers books.

Like any 'guide' books they have their limitations but it should give you some assistance.

You could also try asking any friends who have done really well in problem style responses if they would be kind enough to let you have a look at their responses --> this is also advantageous as you may be able to see markers' comments on their response so you can also see their shortcomings, if any to further enhance your understanding of what markers are looking for.

Last edited:

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I don't know what uni you go to, but some have a law students' society/association that provides sample answers, but you have to go ask for them.
Butterworths is helpful sometimes, but a few times the questions they've asked aren't exactly what we're learning. At least they show you a way of formatting your answers.

Being concise is definitely an important thing, I think, especially given time constraints in exams. Short answers can easily get an HD if you hit the right issues.

Kazl0

HSC
I'm at Murdoch Uni in WA. Our exams are usually one big problem where you have to advise a client what to do, the reasons behind it and cite an authority. BTW, could someone give an Amazon link or something for the exact ButterWorths book I should get?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1) Check if your university has an academic skills center. At some universities they have departments which store previous HD and D exam responses for students to review. Also, they may have tutors who will help you with structuring your responses.

2) Check to see whether your university has past exam papers online.

3) Check to see whether your LSS has sample answers on their web page.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Kazl0 said:
I'm at Murdoch Uni in WA. Our exams are usually one big problem where you have to advise a client what to do, the reasons behind it and cite an authority. BTW, could someone give an Amazon link or something for the exact ButterWorths book I should get?
Interesting approach. We're still doing the traditional problem or essay type questions at UWA... and I'd prefer the realistic approach at Murdoch.

Anyhow, you could try looking at past year papers and HD, D, C, P answers because it sounds like the way you'd answer the problem question might be different from the way you'd answer usual problem questions. If you can't get any, try contacting the MSLS Education Committee - that's what they're supposed to be there for.

You may also consider asking lecturers if they have past answers or sample answers they can let you have a look at.

Otherwise you can get an idea from books like
http://www.lexisnexis.com.au/aus/pr...category=28&medium=0&author=&title=&overview=
http://www.lexisnexis.com.au/aus/pr...category=28&medium=0&author=&title=&overview=
http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/boo..._next_page_=GetSingleBook&_key_=9780199287550
which will most likely be available in the library (or you can visit ours - we have the first two available for loan).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)