• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Scaling/moderation for different texts? (1 Viewer)

dan_ster

HSC
Does anyone know if people studying different texts in eng are marked/scaled/moderated/watever else differently in correlation to the difficulty of the texts? eg is pomo scaled more than other modules as it is relatively harder?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
dan_ster said:
Does anyone know if people studying different texts in eng are marked/scaled/moderated/watever else differently in correlation to the difficulty of the texts? eg is pomo scaled more than other modules as it is relatively harder?
Don't think so. I can't imagine there being a formal process, although markers might take relative difficulty of questions into consideration when marking.

They generally design all the options and questions to be around the same difficulty, though.

Dave2007

HSC
No, you're ability to answer the questions gets you the mark not your module (Although some modules may lend themselves to less sophisticated responses, or may be more challenging to at first come to terms with, the end outcome is meant to be roughly similiar in work).

Plus who says pomo is harder than other things? have you spec ficced? Have you retreated from the global?

dan_ster

HSC
no i havent but i daresay doing lotr or the castle cant possibly be more complex than Possession and the whole concept of pomo (which is absolute bs)

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Not sure if its true, but some say scaling is based on the number of people doing that particular module. So if there was a significant difference in average marks between different modules, maybe there could be some tweaking involved *shrug*

BaCC 07~~
HSC
dan_ster said:
no i havent but i daresay doing lotr or the castle cant possibly be more complex than Possession and the whole concept of pomo (which is absolute bs)
Hahaha yeah, pomo's a biatch.

miss-smexy

HSC
The Castle IS annoying because I can't find many related texts which I can link it to.

I would rather much have done POMO. So much more interesting than retreating from the macrocosm of the global =S And my teacher is sooo pro-local :eek:

Dave2007

HSC
dan_ster said:
"Doing the castle" isn't really a fair way to characterise retreat.

In fact for retreat you have to understand the pomo concept you decry as so hard, because one of the main factors we look at are characters suffering the post-modern condition, and the recognition of "absolute truths" in the global and local.

The castle is used by very few people, but even so its challenging to see who actually retreats, what it says about a balance between global and local for all the characters etc... and drawing connections to other texts.

You have to know alot of theory as well. Capitalism/Commensalism, Postcolonialism/neocolonialism and many others...

I'm certain it is just as hard as pomo.

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Dave2007 said:
"Doing the castle" isn't really a fair way to characterise retreat.

In fact for retreat you have to understand the pomo concept you decry as so hard, because one of the main factors we look at are characters suffering the post-modern condition, and the recognition of "absolute truths" in the global and local.

The castle is used by very few people, but even so its challenging to see who actually retreats, what it says about a balance between global and local for all the characters etc... and drawing connections to other texts.

You have to know alot of theory as well. Capitalism/Commensalism, Postcolonialism/neocolonialism and many others...

I'm certain it is just as hard as pomo.
I guess people think Pomo is harder to understand because we are being told to think against something we've always thought as the status norm, and its just a harder concept to grasp quickly thats all. The retreat from the global, yes you have to understand a lot of theories as well, but its something which is more historically content based. Not that i'm dissing retreat, its still a great module :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)