• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Science/Law or Arts/Law (1 Viewer)

pointepink

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm a year 12 student who is trying to decide between Arts/Law and Science/Law. Is there anyone who has done either of these before? I was also wondering if there are particular pathways that an Arts/Law program can open? I know Science can lead to patent law but is there "an edge" an Arts degree can offer? On a subject basis, can you study English in a Science degree? And can it be studied as a major? The last question I wanted to ask is if you enter an Arts degree and decide that you are not happy with your Arts subjects, can you choose Science ones (like maths and chemistry which you can do in the arts anyway) and change your degree to a Science/Law?

Thanks for your time and any advice would be appreciated.

X

xeuyrawp

Do arts / law. I think the range of arts subjects at Macquarie are huge -- not to mention the fact that you can do (in first year, before you make up your mind) most science subjects in your arts degree.

If you find you enjoy science, you can transfer to the BSc / LLB program after you've tried science and decided it was for you. If you end up not liking science, you can decide to stay with your BA / LLB program and do something less sciencey. :)

pointepink

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning more towards Arts for the same reason. One other question, has anyone done the B Arts (psychology)? I looked up the program on the Maquarie website but it doesn't look very flexible. Is it really as rigid as it seems or is it only when it's combined with LLB?

Thanks again

Tabris

HSC
The only person i know who does B arts - Psychology and LLB is MaryJane, she seems to have disappeared over BOS. Maybe Skittled can answer on her behalf, he does BA- Psy too.

Clairegirl does BA - Psy so does the phoenix and some others, they will give u the low down on the dgree, just PM them.

If u really want to do Psycology, u chose the right uni, i think there academics who boast our reputation being stronger than UNSW and USYD. I have also heard about the learning experience as being excellent.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
pointepink said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning more towards Arts for the same reason. One other question, has anyone done the B Arts (psychology)? I looked up the program on the Maquarie website but it doesn't look very flexible. Is it really as rigid as it seems or is it only when it's combined with LLB?

Thanks again
i do B arts (psychology). It is actually a good option if your slightly interested in psych but do not know enough to be sure (like i was) because the first year consists of just 3 cores and you can choose 5 electives. It is only as the years progress that you do more and more psych units, and by then you can decide whether you want to continue psych or do another major.

Tabris is right. psych @ maq is the way to go. Personally, i think its also the best for a number of the humanities, esp. ancient history (the uni does a lot of work in egypt) and philosophy/

Last edited:

pointepink

HSC
Thanks cyan_phoneix. Just wondering, when you said that you can choose five electives, do you mean that you only do one psych subject in the whole first year or does that only apply to the B arts (psychology)? The psychology combined with law program said that I must complete 3 100 level psychology units (intro to psych, statistics etc), are these all first year? I was also wondering what kind of psychology Macquarie offers. Is it more behavioural or science based? Do you do any neuroscience? Also, as you're doing an arts degree, I was wondering what other arts subjects you study.

Thanks for the feedback

p.s If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do with your degree once you've finished?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
pointepink said:
Thanks cyan_phoneix. Just wondering, when you said that you can choose five electives, do you mean that you only do one psych subject in the whole first year or does that only apply to the B arts (psychology)? The psychology combined with law program said that I must complete 3 100 level psychology units (intro to psych, statistics etc), are these all first year? I was also wondering what kind of psychology Macquarie offers. Is it more behavioural or science based? Do you do any neuroscience? Also, as you're doing an arts degree, I was wondering what other arts subjects you study.

Thanks for the feedback

p.s If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do with your degree once you've finished?
sorry for the late reply. just got back from holidays.

Yep, 3 psych units (the 2 intros to psych and a stats unit), the rest you choose as electives (i recommend philosophy :), as it is a close field to psychology). These 3 you need if your following the B arts (psych) or the Bpsych (honours) and if you plan to do a normal Barts with a major in psych (which is basically Barts (psych)). Unfortunetely there are no other first year psych units (usyd also just has the 2 intro psych courses for first year).. it is only in second year that you can start to choose other psych units besides the cores (and personally they dont seem to appealing -psych and lingustics and a psych health unit being the electives, besides the cores, in second year).

As for the psychology that maq excels in, i hear they are the top for certain areas in developmental psychology. Other than that, you should probably ask because im not sure what we are the 'top' in, but given that we have a pretty large animal laboratory which undertake tests on animals (for animal behaviour and neuropsychology purposes), im assuming maq is good in those areas too. I heard from somewhere (though dont quote me on this), that maq was the only uni to get 5 stars in each aspect of its psych department. Regardless of this, the uni appears to be strong in all areas of psychology that it teaches, but for something more definite you will have to ask.

I want to be a psychologist (after getting into Bpsych(honours)), but im not sure what area (there are too many areas!).

hope that helps..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)