• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Screening for HIV, Hep B & Hep C (1 Viewer)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
i was just wondering if at unsw, they require you to bring documentation ( cause i think i've lost them)... and exactly what vaccinations should we get (of we decide to do the immunisation program through our own GP)?
Also, are we meant to do a blood test as well?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UNSW should need you to have it because you are goin to hospital...
but im not too sure..

for the 2nd question
U should do the blood test
for
HIV, Hep C, Hep B

HIV
HIV antibody via ELISA

Hep C
anti-HCV antibodies

Hep B
HBV surface antigen (HBsAg);
antibody to HBsAg (anti-HBs);
antibody to HBV core antigen (anti-HBc);
HBV e antigen (HBeAg);
antibody to HBeAg (anti-HBe);

for HIV and Hep C its to confirm if u have had it recently.. (old results arent good in case u caught it after).. so the more recent the better [last yr should be alright]
there is no vaccine for these.

for Hep B its to see if u have it or the immunity to it .
if u have/had the vaccine.. sometimes the vaccine is ineffective (rare) and have to retake a full course.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
funnybunny said:
i was just wondering if at unsw, they require you to bring documentation ( cause i think i've lost them)... and exactly what vaccinations should we get (of we decide to do the immunisation program through our own GP)?
Also, are we meant to do a blood test as well?
The deal at unsw is that at some point in the first year, you need to have an interview with one of the med faculty staff at PoW outpatients ward. This is really easy to organise as its on the internet, much like choosing an interview time for the unsw med application. to that interview, you need to bring as much documentation as you can about what vaccinations you have had. You also need to have a blood test, which you have at the hospital after the interview, for all the things dexter mentioned, and a mantoux test to check for TB immunity. You don't have to do any of it via the med faculty if you don't want to, but it's easier and it's free of charge. I'm not sure what the deal is when you can't find any documentation, but don't worry as you have plenty of time to ask questions and sort it out; it's not a case of not being able to go to hospital until your vaccinations are checked or anything like that.
I can't remember exactly which immunisations you need, but again, you have time to sort it out. Also, the first thing you study in Foundations is immunisation, and all this sort of thing is mentioned at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)