• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Seeking advice and guidance! :) (1 Viewer)

lolgg2ez

HSC
Hey, this is my first post on the board of studies website so if I apologize if I am breaking any norms :p.
I am in year 11 and aiming for an ATAR of mid 90's to get into economics/actuarial studies or something in that direction. I have already completed a HSC course in Swedish and scored 91 in that so i only have to do 8 units next year. This year I am doing English standard, Physics, Economics and MX1. I am 3rd in my maths class without putting too much effort into maths. Since I have more time to put into fewer subjects, would it be better to do 4 units of maths and drop physics or not. That way I would only be doing English standard, 4 unit math and economics. Any advice is much appreciated!

Sorry for the wall of text.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
if you're strong with maths defs go for 4unit and drop phys( use this time to beast rest of ur subbies)
4unit is beastly scaling ( especially if you do well)

lolgg2ez

HSC
if you're strong with maths defs go for 4unit and drop phys( use this time to beast rest of ur subbies)
4unit is beastly scaling ( especially if you do well)
Yeah thanks, I read somewhere that if you are decent at maths and have the time to put into it then 4 unit maths can be a good option. Also only having 3 subjects (4 if you count maths as being 2 subjects) seems like such a bonus.

v1

HSC
do 4unit maths and try to do english advanced.

lolgg2ez

HSC
I'm doing english advanced now but not really enjoying it and scoring towards the lower half of the class, is it better to move down and do standard or continue with advanced?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Continue with advanced, but if 4u gets too much , drop down to 3u (still scales beastly ).

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
For the love of god don't do standard.

You'll thank me later

lolgg2ez

HSC
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will just have to try harder with English advanced. If I was to drop physics and pick up 4 unit maths, I'd have no backup units. How important are backup units?

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Backups are only good if you can't identify your strengths in your subjects.

If you know which 10 units are going to count, then have 10 units right from the start.

If not, hold onto 11 or 12 until you're a bit later into the HSC

wildcard__

HSC
Don't do standard, do advanced! It's very rare to achieve band 6 for standard english .. and if you think you can do that, then you can achieve a band 6 for advanced english. Good luck

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Try 4U BUT don't drop Physics straight away.

Only drop Physics when you're certain that your 4U is stable and all fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)