• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Selective High School Help!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

leelo

HSC
N/A
Hiii,

I want to apply for Fort Street and Caringbah High this year for the year 8-10 range. With Caringbah I have no questions but Fort Street is killing me. My questions are: How many people make it in to Fort Street from year 8-10? Is it a hard school? What were some of the previous english essay questions?

Also, the english essay is so annoying!!! Can anyone give me some ideas for the statement-'the individual is constrained by society.'

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
For the statement 'the individual is constrained' by society I would delve into the societal values of individuals and how that determines their morals and values which then influences their behaviour amongst others in society.

Though, I hope others can give you better advice :) anyhow, best of luck with your application.

Good luck,
Dangerouss

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Here's an example thesis to start you off (n.b. this is not the best one as it's quite convoluted but you get the idea).

The idiosyncratic nature of the human condition is compelled by its interaction with society. Through the influence of external stimuli which concurrently affects internal introspection, an individual's morals and values are shaped that is exhibited in society.
This is a clear and sophisticated way to incorporate my crappy post into a thesis. Well done, Hawkie :)

(I highly recommend you take hawkrider's advice, he's a legend!)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Here's an example thesis to start you off (n.b. this is not the best one as it's quite convoluted but you get the idea).

The idiosyncratic nature of the human condition is compelled by its interaction with society. Through the influence of external stimuli which concurrently affects internal introspection, an individual's morals and values are shaped that is exhibited in society.
This is a clear and sophisticated way to incorporate my crappy post into a thesis. Well done, Hawkie :)
I could never have done it better !!!
(I highly recommend you take hawkrider's advice, he's a legend!)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

If you cannot manage to sustain this bs through your essay it will be completely obvious

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
obviously what?
That you memorised a thesis yet you have no argument behind it. It really stands out to the person looking at the essay. Sure they might be 'wow'd' after reading the first sentence but thats when it ends.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
That you memorised a thesis yet you have no argument behind it. It really stands out to the person looking at the essay. Sure they might be 'wow'd' after reading the first sentence but thats when it ends.
Well, you're right. If OP is going to use hawkrider's thesis he/she must develop an argument prior to doing so - otherwise that thesis'd be useless.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
But now that I think about it , the question is rather shallow anyway.

turntaker

HSC
I'm really not lol - I just make good decisions with how I revise.

If you put me into a room with other English students, there'll be a notable difference in the quality of writing as mine would not be that impressive - it's more high modality, straight to the point as opposed to the pretentious wankery other talented individuals may display.
dude just accept that you're good at English..
I wish I was as good as you at it.

but then everyone thinks they're bad

itzKev

HSC
Hiii,

I want to apply for Fort Street and Caringbah High this year for the year 8-10 range. With Caringbah I have no questions but Fort Street is killing me. My questions are: How many people make it in to Fort Street from year 8-10? Is it a hard school? What were some of the previous english essay questions?

Also, the english essay is so annoying!!! Can anyone give me some ideas for the statement-'the individual is constrained by society.'
Hi-5!!! I'm applying to Fort Street too! but for Year 11.

The English Essay for my year is very difficult.......I asked for advice from English Teachers and they told me to use examples from journals, newspapers etc etc... though what I don't like for the year 11 one is if you did a very good essay but didn't make it through the testing stage then they wouldn't even check your application which includes the essay :( ..... though Year 8-10 is easy to make it in but limited spots.

Here's what the Fort Street website said about entries:
Years 8-10

Entry is limited with vacancies occurring only when a current student leaves the school. Applications are reviewed and a short list of the top twenty applications are established. When a place becomes available, candidates on the short list will be interviewed and a place offered

So basically you'll need to ask students from the school about the number of students currently in the grade you'll be applying to next year and do the maths and find any spare spots. The max enrolment for years 8-10 is 150 so remember that!

Anyways good luck with your application! Hope you make it in!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hiii,

* How are we restricted in our choices due to societies influences,pressures,expectations
=> Discrimination ( Could deal with boat people/refugee how people want to 'stop the boats')
=> Human Slavery/Sweatshop => due to societies expectations for 'cheap' goods; Individuals are sacrificed
=> Education; our 'chance' and 'opportunities' in life come down primarily due to access to good quality in education

Good luck, Hope this helps :p

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For the statement 'the individual is constrained' by society I would delve into the societal values of individuals and how that determines their morals and values which then influences their behaviour amongst others in society.

Though, I hope others can give you better advice :) anyhow, best of luck with your application.

Good luck,
Dangerouss
On this point looking into media/religion influences would be a good idea too...

leelo

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys!!! I have ideas it's just taking time to word them into proper sentences. *sigh* I'll get there eventually. The woes of english.

anguyenh

HSC
Hey leelo!

I'm from Fort Street's Class of 2014 so I can tell you how many people make it in.

To be blunt, it's extremely hard to get into Fort if you didn't get in from the start of Year 7.

In Years 8-10, around 2-6 new people came into our school per year. Usually it was around the 3/4 mark though. People (usually) only leave the school if they get into a better school (e.g. Sydney Girls, James Ruse, Sydney Boys) but hardly anyone leaves.

Your best luck is getting into Year 11. If I'm not wrong there's somewhere between 50-100 applicants every year but less than 20 get in.

Years 7-10: 150 students.
Years 11-12: Somewhere between ~165-70 (if I'm not wrong). My cohort is 167 students. In Year 10 I think around 3-5 people left.

Fort Street isn't a "hard" school, but it doesn't mean you'll cruise by either. Getting into the school is extremely hard, but once you're in, if you can adapt, you're fine.

Uh... also don't expect anything of our teachers. Generally speaking, our English and Maths faculty are absolute shit, except for a very select few. Our results in English are generally poor (except for those at the top of the cohort) but our Maths results are quite solid.

I can give you tips on how to stand out from the crowd though.
>>> Really ace your Math exam!!! <<<
They love people who are good at math. Seriously, haha.

Also if you do extra-curricular activities they'll love you. Honestly, Grade 8 in piano/violin/any other instrument, SRC, Debating, Environmental Committee, etc.

Good luck getting into Fort! And if you get in, congratulations. :) You won't regret it.

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
lmao in that case my chances look like shit im applying for year 9
6 A's (math, english, science, history, visual arts, techonology)
1 B ( religion )
c (pdhpe)
and a D omygod (music wow)

extra curriculars are like
- Music Tour Team 2014
- Primary House Captain
- Participated in Math, english and science UNSW tests in year 6 (2012)
- Lead role in primary musical

Ye im screwed *dying*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)