• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Semiconductors............urgent, please help! (1 Viewer)

tootoobear

HSC
discuss the main problems with early valve type communication technology and give examples of how the introduction of semiconductors improved communication devices?

rama_v

HSC
Please do not expect us to do your homework for you. What exactly do you need help with?

tootoobear

HSC
I know that silicon is a more preferred element for semicoductors than Germanium but I just need more information on how semiconductors improved communication devices in terms of its function and properties

I found some info in textbook but it's very brief

and sorry for not being clear in the first post

rama_v

HSC
In that case, just think of the advantages semiconductors have over traditional valves. For example they are much smaller, they use far less power, they are more reliable (they dont have any fragile heating filmanets), they operate at room temperature etc.

Check the resources for some good summaries
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=13

BlackDragon

HSC
Hello everyone!
I've got a question...i know that p and n-type doing both, in essence, raise the conductivity of semi conductors, but why aren't ordinary conductors used instead of making the semi conductors conduct more freely? especially in solid state devices (computer chips basically) because i know why they need to be used in photo voltaic cells. thanks :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)