• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Shared Function Library? (1 Viewer)

Cotlone

What do all you programmers out there think about compiling an online function library for a few languages? Its the something this site could use.

We could just start with say sorters and searchers, and people can add their own unique ones to it. Ive been too lazy to make one - and its a pain in the arse to write a function and check it for every project when you could just access it from a library and improve development time.

Its just an idea though.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Quite honestly for year 11 and year 12 SDD I think this could be a bad idea.

It would be very nice from a programming point of view, but it will eventually get to the point that students will simply be using these modules having absolutely no idea how and why they work - they simply use the library because they can't be bothered writing one for themselves.

Winston

HSC
sunny said:
Quite honestly for year 11 and year 12 SDD I think this could be a bad idea.

It would be very nice from a programming point of view, but it will eventually get to the point that students will simply be using these modules having absolutely no idea how and why they work - they simply use the library because they can't be bothered writing one for themselves.
Yeah i'd have to agree... because in the end, students will end up only having the knowledge to invoke methods from pre-made libraries for them, what's the use? The ability to derive your on methods, and possibly provide a better implementation for a certain method is what i call good learning experience, otherwise SDD would turn out to be like English, where by people go online, download someones code, mix it up with other code, and pray that they recieve a pass...

Cotlone

Yeah your right, from a learning point of view - however realistically a programmer could do without the knowledge of how every function works as long as it does. Though its undoubtedly more advantageous to know because it adds to your programming knowledge, but you can study the function to understand if you are competent.
But yeah, I'm with you on this.

Winston

HSC
Cotlone said:
Yeah your right, from a learning point of view - however realistically a programmer could do without the knowledge of how every function works as long as it does. Though its undoubtedly more advantageous to know because it adds to your programming knowledge, but you can study the function to understand if you are competent.
But yeah, I'm with you on this.
It's an arguable issue, you may say it's beneficial at a educational standpoint, however, most students, tend to have the dearth of trying behaviour, or yet, "lets just throw together the program and get a pass", they would never contemplate how this piece of code was actually coded together, hence, not even being able to trace code, as well as following code logic, this can greatly impact on extended algorithm questions for their exams. It will only embolden students to copy and not understand.

Cotlone

Yeah i was agreeing with you and sunny - I recognise what you are saying. I was just refering to an actual development environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)