• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Shoe-Horn Sonata Essays! Help! (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Hi everyone, I really need help on how to write Shoe-Horn Sonata essay. I know that dramatic techniques are essential, as well as charaters, themes, stage settings. But my problem is how does the essay layout? I don't know how to link those techniques together. Thanks in advance :)

_manda_87_

HSC
Link SHS as you would any other

You link those techniques together just as u would in any other essay.
eg. In the shoe horn sonata various techniques are used to dramatise the experiences faced by the two women. These include music, lighting and images.John Misto is "shaping the meaning" so we understand certain things.Misto is also influencing the way the audience respond by including a particular picture, song or sound.

Music is used in the very first scene, it reflects the the period when Bridie and shiela were in camp.The audience is taken back.....etc

The use of lighting is also used in the first scene when the spotlight focuses on Bridie on the stage. By using this technique our attention is brought to the stage and we then realise that the stage is set up as a tv studio....etc

Images are used by the play right to stir our emotions and to give a better understanding of what the prisoners looked like before and after their imprisonment......etc

The layout for this essay is the same as any other:
Introduction
Tech 1
tech 2
tech 3
conclusion

i hope that helps
manda

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
i already knew that but after u posted it, it made a lot more sense. LOL thanks

1800-gumby

HSC
What dramatic techniques does Misto use to present the shoe-horn sonata as more than a tale of violence and dispair?
2001 cssa trial

trekkie

HSC
he uses symbolism, when Bridie recounts the concert the Japanese held for the prisoners she recounts how all the women realized they were going to live and how they all "looked at the SKY the CLOUDS and the BIRDS", The Sky and birds represent the freedom and unity the women gained through the music, shows how they survived ( links with the choir and sonata) while clouds shows the light and happy feeling
also uses stage directions , when Sheila recounts the liberation from Belalau it says that "Bridie takes sheila's hand", its the physical manifestation of their friendship and how it supported them and helped them to survive.
There are more but i really have to go sleep now
GOOD LUCK!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)