• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SHORE school (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Hey guy..

SHORE school just offered me a boarding position for Year 11. (currently at year 10). IF any goes to SHORE or knows any information on SHORE please share. I also want to know how academically accelerated SHORE is.

thanks

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
z600 said:
Hey guy..

SHORE school just offered me a boarding position for Year 11. (currently at year 10). IF any goes to SHORE or knows any information on SHORE please share. I also want to know how academically accelerated SHORE is.

thanks
z600, WELCOME TO THE BOS FORUMS

from my opinion, SHORE (or known as Sydney Church of England Grammar School, if you really want to get technical) is one of the top elite private schools in Sydney. One of the "top" members of the GPS, they are extremely competitive both academically and sports. Compared to the other GPS schools, its academics is quite good, but it cannot compare with Grammar or Sydney High, but is better than Newington, Kings, St. Josephs and Scots. I put Riverview as its Catholic equivalent, noting that Shore is an Anglican school. Sporting-wise, it is one of the best schools, doing extremely well in Soccer, Rowing, Basketball and athletics.

Shore is, as you would probably know, and as the same suggests, in the North Shore region, overlooking Sydney Harbour Bridge. Excellent views. Therefore, in general, Shore would attract many upper-class, white Anglo-Saxons as its majority of the student body.

one downside of Shore is that it is currently the most expensive private school in Sydney. The tuition fees reach more than $20k a year. add boarding, ur total costs will double or even triple.

of course, this is an opinion only. im sure that there are people who go to shore who lurks these forums, and im sure they are more than happy to assist you.

oh, just one thing: if ur offer was a scholarship, TAKE IT. HANDS DOWN. PERIOD.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
z600, WELCOME TO THE BOS FORUMS

from my opinion, SHORE (or known as Sydney Church of England Grammar School, if you really want to get technical) is one of the top elite private schools in Sydney. One of the "top" members of the GPS, they are extremely competitive both academically and sports. Compared to the other GPS schools, its academics is quite good, but it cannot compare with Grammar or Sydney High, but is better than Newington, Kings, St. Josephs and Scots. I put Riverview as its Catholic equivalent, noting that Shore is an Anglican school. Sporting-wise, it is one of the best schools, doing extremely well in Soccer, Rowing, Basketball and athletics.

Shore is, as you would probably know, and as the same suggests, in the North Shore region, overlooking Sydney Harbour Bridge. Excellent views. Therefore, in general, Shore would attract many upper-class, white Anglo-Saxons as its majority of the student body.

one downside of Shore is that it is currently the most expensive private school in Sydney. The tuition fees reach more than $20k a year. add boarding, ur total costs will double or even triple.

of course, this is an opinion only. im sure that there are people who go to shore who lurks these forums, and im sure they are more than happy to assist you.

oh, just one thing: if ur offer was a scholarship, TAKE IT. HANDS DOWN. PERIOD.
Thanks, i didn't apply for the scholarship, but my parents are willing to paid the fees. I just looked through one of SHORE's year books and realised there are 4 people with asian backgrounds (i am one), will there be any problems of me fitting in? I consider myself lucky that i had been only waiting for 2 year! All i did was keep sending them my report and results of my math and science competitions.

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
if its not a scholarship, why the hell did you have to wait 2 years?

There may be racism, but I don't think it would be too bad. But if you cant speak english well (as indicated by your post above), then you may get the shit kicked out of you.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Bookie said:
if its not a scholarship, why the hell did you have to wait 2 years?

There may be racism, but I don't think it would be too bad. But if you cant speak english well (as indicated by your post above), then you may get the shit kicked out of you.

you do realise SHORE has the longest waiting list out of all schools. Kids enroll the school when they are born and have about 400 kids ahead of them in the waiting list. I never said i can't speak english well, i said that i was from a asian background

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
z600 said:
you do realise SHORE has the longest waiting list out of all schools. Kids enroll the school when they are born and have about 400 kids ahead of them in the waiting list. I never said i can't speak english well, i said that i was from a asian background
true, very true. the same goes with many top private schools.

z600 said:
Thanks, i didn't apply for the scholarship, but my parents are willing to paid the fees. I just looked through one of SHORE's year books and realised there are 4 people with asian backgrounds (i am one), will there be any problems of me fitting in? I consider myself lucky that i had been only waiting for 2 year! All i did was keep sending them my report and results of my math and science competitions.
as ive said before, Shore is predominately populated by upper class, white Anglo-Saxons. there are very very few people of an Asian background that goes to Shore, either they picked you becuase of ur academic ability or they want your money (LOL!!!!)

i am not privy if there is any racism at the school, but judging from the very VERY tiny percentage of students from a non-white Anglo Saxon background, i think - im going to say this very carefully - a considerable portion of students of a different ethnic background tend to find it 'uncomfortable', for a better way of describing it, 'fitting in'.

but, despite what ive said, if you are open, kind and friendly and optomistic, then im sure you will fit in quite nicely.

hope you do enjoy your time at shore, and wish you all the very best of luck for your upcoming HSC!

CamT

HSC
At shore in my year (year 12) we've only got about 6 or so non-white boys and they get along fine with everyone and there's no troubles with them.
If you've been given the opportunity then I would say definately take it.
Going into boarding is also a great experience because you'll become very good friends with all the boarders in your year and pretty much the whole boarding community.

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
if u've got the opportunity to go to shore, definately take it. I go to Shore and it's a fantastic school. As for racism, it is non existant. You'll only get a hard time if you're a dickhead, which i'm sure you're not.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
very positive comments from shore people! quite the contrary to what im assuming.

please accept my most humble and gracious apologies for my rather uninformed and unwise racism opinions on shore!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
pennypacker said:
if u've got the opportunity to go to shore, definately take it. I go to Shore and it's a fantastic school. As for racism, it is non existant. You'll only get a hard time if you're a dickhead, which i'm sure you're not.

thanks for all the info guys! appreciated! See you next year!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Bookie said:
Why would there be a waiting list?

Surely anyone who can afford to pay 20k should be accepted.
A family friend had her kids waiting for SHORE since he was born for year 7. There are 263 kids still infront of him on the waiting list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)