• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I learn the 'Chemistry of Art' option on my own? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
So my class will be doing Industrial, but I was thinking I should learn Chem of Art, seeing as though we'll also be doing Quanta to Quarks in physics. My teacher said we can learn different options on our own if we wish.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What about school exams? I would never advise to do a different option to what your school is doing.

gwilymprice

HSC
I advise against it, having a teacher actually teaching you the course is much better than doing it yourself, especially in chem

madharris

HSC
N/A
What about school exams?
This ^^
- Your school might not write your option into the exam and thus, there goes 25 marks.
- Even if your teacher sucks (like mine did), they're still a lot better than having no teacher.
- Chemistry of the Art isn't very popular, so you don't have many people to ask if you need help

emilios

HSC
Im fairly sure my school just buys external trial papers from a company every year, so I don't have to worry about it not being in the exam. I'm also pretty decent at teaching myself things, but now I guess its a matter of resources and teacher help (Industrial) vs personal interest and correlation with Physics (which I enjoy more)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Industrial is a fairly easy option, and it links in extremely well with the core topics. If your class is doing it, you should do it.

kvothe

HSC
I did chem of art last year, and it was tricky at times. The textbook most people use (chemistry contexts 2) is good but limited in some aspects. You really need a good teacher to teach you it.

Doing an elective different to your class is hard. There could be hiccups along the way. So I would recommend you do industrial (it's easy). However if you're set on Art, then I may be able to help you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Our Physics class was split up in to 3 different options this year.

In the end, we did not do an assessment task for an option module other than our trial.

I do not recommend it unless you have someone else doing the same option as you.

Also, you have to have a passion for the option. I did Age of Silicon because I wanted to get a taste of electrical engineering, which consequently persuaded me to do it as a future uni degree.

Chemistry of Art will only tie in with learning about quantum mechanics. So you should NOT do this module if you don't do q2q for Physics.
Also, Industrial Chemistry will be much more beneficial later on in life or for uni.

But, if your teacher said it is fine to do your own option, then make sure there is no assessment task for the option modules.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Our Physics class was split up in to 3 different options this year.

In the end, we did not do an assessment task for an option module other than our trial.

I do not recommend it unless you have someone else doing the same option as you.

Also, you have to have a passion for the option. I did Age of Silicon because I wanted to get a taste of electrical engineering, which consequently persuaded me to do it as a future uni degree.

Chemistry of Art will only tie in with learning about quantum mechanics. So you should NOT do this module if you don't do q2q for Physics.
Also, Industrial Chemistry will be much more beneficial later on in life or for uni.

But, if your teacher said it is fine to do your own option, then make sure there is no assessment task for the option modules.
I can't agree with you with that bit.

Chemistry of Art sets you up very well for university chemistry and it's not really about trying to get overlap. Trying to get overlap will make it easier now but if you pursue a career in these fields, you want to know as much as you possibly can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)