• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I leave at the end of this year? (1 Viewer)

cheap

HSC
I want to pursue counselling and am having second thoughts about continuing onto year 11 and 12... would it be pointless to? Would a tafe course be more worthwhile? My parents have advised against it (you need more life experience!) but my friends are saying if the subjects school offers aren't relevant I should leave. I have no idea what to do, any advice/suggestions?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I would advise heavily against it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cheap said:
I want to pursue counselling and am having second thoughts about continuing onto year 11 and 12... would it be pointless to? Would a tafe course be more worthwhile? My parents have advised against it (you need more life experience!) but my friends are saying if the subjects school offers aren't relevant I should leave. I have no idea what to do, any advice/suggestions?
I am interested in counselling too. But who knows? you might change your mind. So, here I am, doing my Preliminary year. On top of that, you might actually be better off continuing on because you might get decent UAI that would let you get into a counselling course that is better than the TAFE accomodates. Doing HSC will give you a pool of options to choose from. So give it a try. If you don't like your Preliminary year, just drop out of it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Yeah, like a Psychology Course or something related.

happyhelen

HSC
I know heaps of people who wished they'd just done their HSC while they could and everyone else was doing it, (their age etc... it's the norm)... A few 'mature age students' came back to do their HSC at our school, and found it way harder...
Even if your HSC won't benefit you in the immediate future, it could be useful later on in life...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
cheap said:
Your friends also don't have a clue. Just talk to your teachers about it, discuss it with your year advisor and so forth. With matters like these, you should talk to someone with experience and all that.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
For a lot of careers the subjects schools offer in year 11 and 12 are not relevant but it isn't about that. It is effectively a means to an end and the HSC will allow you more options and if counselling is really what you want to do then a uni degree would be better and it's probably what most people working in that field have.

If I was you I would do as much research as possible and work out the best path for you. Finish your education then if you decide you still think tafe is the better path you can do that but later go to uni if you want much easier also. :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
well your situation is pretty similar to a friend i know. He has discussed leaving school at the end of year 10 with his parents and they still supported him, however after some thinking he decided that he will try out the prelimary course before making a decision whether to quit school. After a few months, he has come to a decision that he will finish year 12 and get some experience from it.

He knows that he wont get into uni and told his parents that and letting them know that he wants to become a chef. Currently, he is studying some course at tafe and working part time at a restaurant to pursue his career. My friend kind of did get his job for finishing year 12 though.

So think about it carefully. I am not trying to persuade you in any directions. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)