• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SOCIOLOGY essay sources ... questionnnn (1 Viewer)

HSC
currently doing a essay for SOC175 been told never to use websites as sources, what are good sources for a sociology essay... text books and journal articles need as much help as possible... its my first ever essay and its worth 40% :S so i need as much help as i can get

thanks ppl

HSC
N/A
Library my darling, library!

Look up key words in the library search - it should pinpoint you towards some good books. :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
JOURNAL ARTICLES!

For every textbook that you use, make sure there are 5 more journal articles.. thats how much i think textbooks are crap

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Websites should never factor in as a source unless they are online journals or news articles from databases or respected sources/translations.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
AsyLum said:
Websites should never factor in as a source unless they are online journals or news articles from databases or respected sources/translations.
agreed, the reasons being is that websites are very rarely if ever peer reviewed

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeap *nods!*

The argument for Wikipedia is still out, but general consensus is no, its best to think of Wikipedia as a starting guide rather than a definitive source. It usually explains concepts in easier language so its good for that.

Additionally, I don't see what is too hard with finding books or information from journals and the library. I went last night at around 8pm did a search. There are still over 20+ books in reserve for my subject despite the fact all the 'primary' books (those containing the terms fourth estate or mass media) all out. But doing a quick search on other terms and going to the section these were contained, I was able to find 7+ books detailing specifically the very questions I needed answered.

I think its purely a lack of research skills which has most people using online sources. The library is open till quite late, and it is very easy to pull books from reserve. Especially with humanities subjects like Sociology, you will need quite a significant amount of theoretical backing, and the best places to find these are through either online or hard copy journals at uni or on the library homepage or through the various books scattered through Linguistics, Sociology, Culture and Media. There are guides on the web page to help you narrow these further, depending on your subject choice. :)

http://www.lib.mq.edu.au/researchguides/

Hope that helps :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i've never borrowed a book from the library before :\ thank gawd i don't even know how to borrow one :S

i've always been told that books are bad bad bad in psychology lol only coz there's a lag date between day they're published n all and that journals are uptodate and hence more reliable.

I have used a book before though as a reference, but it was a methods of statistical analysis thing, something u cant really get from a journal article.

HSC
N/A
I've always used books - the only time I didn't was for BBA111 (where we were told to analyse specific e-articles in e-reserve).

Using books should be fine for Sociology - just play around with the search engine. If a technologically noobity-noob like me can figure it out, anyone can :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
little-rat-boi said:
do you guys think only Australian soruces should be used, as the unit im studying is SOC175
it probably depends on the essay question rather than the unit. is the essay question to do with australia specifically?

HSC
3. How are the roles of men and women adapting to changes in work and family life in Australia? Are we moving towards more gender equality in the balance between work and family, or something else? In your answer, you should take care to explain what you think the main changes in work and family are.

thats the question ... just aussie sources you reckon?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I can foresee underlying sociological theories from sociologists from around the world, with examples or works specifically from australia.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, i think aussie stuff. there might be something general in your text to get you started but i think they would have to do research to get information like that, meaning you could easily use journal articles. but if there are theories like asy said then you could use sources from anywhere for those theories (as he said).

mserica

HSC
Hey... I’m doing SOC175 also and well as there are not too many journal articles relating to Mutual Obligation Question that I have chosen. They prefer Journal articles over text books yet, given it is a first year subject they are giving us some space to explore through means of text books, websites and journal articles.

Good luck.

mserica

HSC
Little Rat Boi - How did you go? Did you end up submitting it on time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)