• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective school? (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
Re: Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective sch

Well st marys and ryde are my only options. I just hope I make it to St Marys.

astroe

HSC
Re: Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective sch

You should go to a school in the city, everyone will be like "Whoaa!"
And plus, so many fun things to do after school. :haha:

Oh, and study of course.

Just keep in mind that if you want to move, MOVE.
If you apply and get in and decide not to go that makes you look bad - in the eys of your own school. Your school gets notified whenever you apply to another school, so they'll probably be like "Why would this student want to leave, etc etc?"

So I guess it could effect how teachers see you I suppose - something to keep in mind. LOL.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

Well st marys and ryde are my only options. I just hope I make it to St Marys.
Ryde is not a great for a selective school, in my opinion

kr73114

HSC

I know Ryde is ranked quite low but does going to a selective school have any advantages?

duckcowhybrid

HSC

People generally like studying.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

harder exams and more pressure to do well

kr73114

HSC

Does anyone know if there is any advantage of going to a school with a huge amount of HSC students. For example St Marys Senior has about 400 hsc students and they are ranked higher than some selective schools.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A

I'd estimate that:
RSC - 15min
Normo - 20min
City school (SB/NSB) - 30min (to get to appropriate train station) + ? min (not sure if I'll have to walk from the station, or if the school provides buses from the station, or if there are any public buses that will take me near the school)
I can tell u that it takes at least ONE HOUR to get from West Ryde to NSB (the school).
If you have morning class, (starts at 8am) then you'll need to wake up at 6ish.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

Does anyone know if there is any advantage of going to a school with a huge amount of HSC students. For example St Marys Senior has about 400 hsc students and they are ranked higher than some selective schools.
ummm not really.. for most schools, having a large amount of students means that it's harder to maintain good hsc results. As St Marys Senior has achieved much success despite the fact that it has over 400 hsc students, it shows that the teachers of the school exercise positive control over student's education and that the school is able to foster a good learning environment (in the not so good schools, having 400 students would create surplus of noise pollution).

i don't know.. a good school with many students may have a very competitive environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)