• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Stressing so much (1 Viewer)

missb

HSC
I have my trial for english aos 2moro and I dont understand how to answer the second point on the rubric for section 3, analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts. I thought I had it but my marks havn't been showing that. I really need some help please. :(

samthebear

HSC
you're asking for help now?:jaw: i'd try to help you, but imo - its too late. what happened to all those other times you could've asked for help from your teachers?! i mean if you asked this question a month ago it might actually help with your trials.

Holly_H

HSC
Are there any specific variety of texts you are working with? eg; poetry, novel ...
If so which ones? we need more information to provide assistance.

missb

HSC
I know that but I have though. My teacher never seems to be able to answer the question in a way that I can understand. I just need to know what I need to say... is it the techniques and how they show the idea of belonging? I need some help just any!

Last edited:

missb

HSC
My texts are The simple gift by stephen herrick(series of free verse poems), freedom writers(movie) and the outsider by gordon bennett(painting)

jellybelly59

HSC
How do you address the second rubric?

Look at the HSC verbs - analyse, assess and explain:

Analyse:identify components and the relationship between them; draw out and relate implications
Assess: Make a judgment of value, quality, outcomes, results or size
Explain: Relate cause and effect; make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how

For any essay it's ideas>techniques. How do your texts represent belonging? Use techniques to SUPPORT your argument. Link back to thesis and question given in the trial. That's a VERY basic thing you have to do.

edit: GL on trials tommorow.

samthebear

HSC
analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts.

All you need to do in relation to this point is just that. You need to be able to express how (explain using analysis which is just your techniques) your selected text have represented belonging. and once you've said how those texts have represented belonging you need to assess - which is to "Make a judgement of value/quality/results or size" your texts in how they've chosen to represent belonging.

you need to be able to do (in points):
1) explain and analyse your texts in terms of belonging [this is easy - its just the techniques and so forth.]
2) Then you must assess - this requires you to make some sort of judgement, it doesnt have to be a personal judgement (which i higly doubt it will be) but rather it wants you to think beyond the 'explain' and this is where you show insight into the AoS.

Edit: the analyse part i've just combined together with the assess section - if you're unsure of what the analyse bit is specifically asking for see jellybelly59's post above mine. he has given you all the definitions of those verbs - use those verbs, they'll help you develop a deeper understanding of what the rubric is asking.

Last edited:

missb

HSC
hey thanks so much. I can see now from my past essays where I've gone wrong. I think its just I havnt made a judgement or an insight. So if I do this with each text I'll be set...hopefully :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)