• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Study tips for uni? (1 Viewer)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
some lecturers are absolute trash and make no sense and put you to sleep, dont bother going if that happens.
I still think it's worth going, and copying down any examples that they give, I mean, as maturefaggot said, you're paying for them, so why waste the money.

I skipped nearly all of my algebra lectures last sem, and I was so utterly fucked for it in the final, I thought the lecturer was shit, but I think if I actually took the time to listen a little harder it may have paid off...

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
it's easy to start daydreaming in boring lectures. force yourself to focus, it's worth it. i did that in semester 1, struggled with most of my courses. i forced myself to focus in semester 2 and did all my homework, and i barely had to do any revision, just did practice papers or harder tutorial problems.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
as mitchy_faggot said, if you took the time to listen a little harder it WILL pay off

come at me bro

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
go to lectures or if not have a good friend that does.
some lecturers hint strongly what's going to be in exams in the lectures.

other than that, if you can keep up with tute work and understand whats going on in lectures (sometimes helps to read/skim lecture notes beforehand).
then i'd say youu'll be pretty sweet. but the truth is, not many people keep up with tute/lecs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
go to lectures or if not have a good friend that does.
some lecturers hint strongly what's going to be in exams in the lectures.

other than that, if you can keep up with tute work and understand whats going on in lectures (sometimes helps to read/skim lecture notes beforehand).
then i'd say youu'll be pretty sweet. but the truth is, not many people keep up with tute/lecs.
I remember FINS1612 they would print lecture notes and then there'd be slides on them. There were no lecture recordings, and I remember one lecture they told us to cross out about eight slides of material because it wasn't examinable.

Those who didn't go to that lecture missed out.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So basically, go through all the lectures do all homework and make heaps of notes throughout the semester? :)
Notes? Nah.. that's a bit much I think. It's probably good to have a set of notes - but just have a general set of notes you can look over before the exam

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't need to make notes if you've studied consistently imo

Just destroy the final exam

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't need to make notes if you've studied consistently imo

Just destroy the final exam
I think it's best to have a little thing you can quickly skim on the bus/train ride there and the like. So not even 'notes' but more like reminders.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
^ Pretty much.

And if you've done the work over the semester, that should all be the study you really need - for Commerce-y subjects.

Maths... you can't really cram.
Well, harder but even maths can be crammable, if it's not a totally new area (in which case you would have needed to keep up with lectures during the semester).

As for doing tutes regularly, no need if you can download tutorial answers and you just keep up with learning the theories from lectures - the problems, you can cram.

Basically all science subjects are crammable, if you keep your lecture materials organised well in a way you can understand and won't get lost while reading it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Well, harder but even maths can be crammable, if it's not a totally new area (in which case you would have needed to keep up with lectures during the semester).

As for doing tutes regularly, no need if you can download tutorial answers and you just keep up with learning the theories from lectures - the problems, you can cram.

Basically all science subjects are crammable, if you keep your lecture materials organised well in a way you can understand and won't get lost while reading it.
i dont count that as cramming if you're half/more than half following lectures and you've read the tute answers i.e. know how to do questions...
means you've pretty much kept up all semester and you're up to date. of course you study/consolidate harder closer to exams.

cramming to me is you've skipped all the lectures, and you're learning everything from scratch a week or days before the exam.

Last edited:

LouisaCar

HSC
Whats studying like if you are a med student? same pattern.........or

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
i dont count that as cramming if you're half/more than half following lectures and you've read the tute answers i.e. know how to do questions...
means you've pretty much kept up all semester and you're up to date. of course you study/consolidate harder closer to exams.

cramming to me is you've skipped all the lectures, and you're learning everything from scratch a week or days before the exam.
oh no, I meant you download tute answers so you know they are there for you, but don't bother reading them till the exam period.

but I guess it's not as much of a cram if lecture materials are organised already.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Whats studying like if you are a med student? same pattern.........or
I've got a few friends in Med. They tell me it's a lot of group meetings and reading textbooks. They all still make hand-written notes because they feel drawing helps most of them the most. About the same, I'm told.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not true. One of my friends does nothing all semester. Then gets 85+ as his final mark (usually around 87-90).
Of course there are the maths geniuses who can do that - but most people can't do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)