• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying Mathematics (1 Viewer)

ciaobella17

HSC
Hey guys,
So I haven't been going quite as well as I could have throughout the Mathematics course. Its been put down to inefficient study and bad exam technique. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas out there on how I might be able to study efficiently and improve my exam technique so that I can do well in the final few assessments and the trials?
Thanks a million

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Need to see how you actually do your maths, maybe over various types of questions. This involves an experienced and knowledgeable person, observing you doing your questions closely and critically. That way bases for your weakness can be identified. Then only can one give some meaningful advice on how to improve. Doing a million questions, replicating your possibly flawed approach a million times isn't necessarily going to improve you. You yourself are going to be a poor judge of your flaws; otherwise you'd have fixed them by now.

Last edited:

UTRazilBay

HSC
The key is to keep doing questions (on a topic you struggle with) until you are able to do all of those questions correctly. It really just comes down to understanding the concept and practicing questions a lot.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Past exam papers.

Non stop.
The key is to keep doing questions (on a topic you struggle with) until you are able to do all of those questions correctly. It really just comes down to understanding the concept and practicing questions a lot.
Suppose I'm walking somewhere and there's a pond in front of me. I want to get past that pond.

I could keep attempting to swim through the pond, learn how to swim etc etc. I could try my hardest and be an absolute beast at pond-swimming.

Alternatively, I could just walk around the pond.

Moral of the story: Perseverance is admirable and can yield success, but it's not guaranteed to be the best way. Sometimes there are easier ways to acquire it.

In this case, the equivalent of 'walking around the pond' would be to learn your flaws as Drongoski has said, then fix them.

funnytomato

HSC
Suppose I'm walking somewhere and there's a pond in front of me. I want to get past that pond.

I could keep attempting to swim through the pond, learn how to swim etc etc. I could try my hardest and be an absolute beast at pond-swimming.

Moral of the story: Perseverance is admirable and can yield success, but it's not guaranteed to be the best way. Sometimes there are easier ways to acquire it.

In this case, the equivalent of 'walking around the pond' would be to learn your flaws as Drongoski has said, then fix them.
reminds me of D E

nightweaver066

HSC

lol Carrot do you think of all these analogies?

funnytomato

HSC
Hey guys,
So I haven't been going quite as well as I could have throughout the Mathematics course. Its been put down to inefficient study and bad exam technique. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas out there on how I might be able to study efficiently and improve my exam technique so that I can do well in the final few assessments and the trials?
Thanks a million
I'd say it's worthwhile to invest more time on trying to actually understand the concepts
knowing what exactly you're doing, and why you're doing it is quite important

I suppose this would be more efficient than trying to do lot of questions without much appreciation
of what you're doing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)