• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Choices... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dude431

Hi

Currently my subjects: 4U math, 2U eng, 2U physics, 2U chemistry, 2U economics.

School: top 20 in state

Above 90: Around 70% or so. Bout 30% above 95.

Here's my problem. I usually rank quite well with economics, physics and chemistry (usually top 10 out of around 50). And I'm aiming to achieve a band 6 for those subjects. What kind of score do I need (raw mark, round about) on the HSC paper in order to achieve that BTW?

English, probably high band 5-low band 6. I ranked 12th for year 11. Probably be around 30ish right now.

However, I've so far screwed maths. I'm talking about +30 rank for both 4U and 3U relatively, since 4U has much less people. Now, being 4U of 12U, its quite a large chunk.

Would it be a good idea to just concentrate on doing extremely well in either 3U or 4U rather than trying to juggle both? Or is that a risk I shouldn't take. Or would it even be viable for me to drop all the way down to 2U? That seems radical but since I've done all the work already, if I just practised 2U in the time I spend on 4U + 3U homework/study, I could potentially do really well in 2U.

My aim is around 97, 98. Relatively high.

_REMOVED_

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winston

HSC
I wouldn't measure the amount of hours for obtaining a good UAI, it's how much you absorb and understand is more important, who cares if you do 19 hrs of studying, it doesn't mean you'll do good.

is a roflcopter
HSC
you're already at 97-98

mid band 6 for eco, chem phys
low band 6 in 4u maths and 89 in eng
theres your 99.5

D

dude431

Ok. So maths won't hinder my result too much?

Because right now my ranks are crap. I may have a chance of improving abit, but I'm far from the 10th position I was last year. Given that I'm ranked around 20th+ out of 40 for 4U, and probably around 40th-50th/100 for 3U (my estimations), and based on the result of 30% above 95, I'm assuming my HSC mark for maths is currently sitting at around 80 to the low 80s. That will drag my UAI down given 2U of maths has to count if I'm not mistaken. (Due to me doing only 12U)

I wouldn't measure the amount of hours for obtaining a good UAI, it's how much you absorb and understand is more important, who cares if you do 19 hrs of studying, it doesn't mean you'll do good.
Yeah but looking through the past HSC results (2003) most of you guys here are quite smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hence y many call these the nerd forums...i read somewhere that the average uai was in the mid nineties for ppl on this forum or something!! thats probably an exaggeration but it is to some extent true. lol

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Pulling up english will help significantly, it has to count.

It's up to you whether or not you take to gamble to concentrate only only 3u or 4u maths to maximise your UAI. If you do, keep in mind 3u is easier with not as good scaling as 4u, but 4u will require more work and has better scaling. It's belived that 60% raw in 4u will see you achieve around 90 aligned and 3u around 80% raw for 90 aligned.

Affinity

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
hence y many call these the nerd forums...i read somewhere that the average uai was in the mid nineties for ppl on this forum or something!! thats probably an exaggeration but it is to some extent true. lol
I wouldn't be surprised. I learnt more from this forum than school during HSC

paper

high band 5/low band 6 english is enough 2 get 99.5 as long as you get close to mid band 6 for all your other maths/sciences/eco subjects so id b concerned with maths more, although keep in mind that 2units wont count....... though other subj gotta make up 4 the rocket scaling of 4U

TheKey

HSC
I thought a band 6 in everything gives you 99+UAI, especially with the subjects he is doing.

felafel

yeah . . . band 6 for everything is a 99 + UAI - for definite!

i've got a few high-flying friends who've got 99.5 + for their UAI, and they said they did 3+ hours consistently every night.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
dude... can i just add that its waaaaaaaay to early to worry bt wot hsc marks and uai ur gona get...

with ur subs and position so far... ur defly 95+... n 95 is a gross understimate... but how far up is really ur call...

to get 99.5+...
ur gona need a low band 6 for eng.adv, 4u maths
and mid band 6 for eco, phys, chem, 3u maths

in terms of dos marks, eng is the hardest to achieve, followed by phys+chem, then the rest...

good luck dude

Affinity

HSC
in the top range of marks, the value of marks increases.

For example.. In General the difference between a 94 and a 93 is MORE than the difference between a 84 and 83

aditya

HSC
BRO!! if i was u... frisrtly id be cheering... then... like u said, drop the two units of maths (assuming ur perfectly confident with ur other 3).. then rape 2u maths hard...

but also think about what u wanna do... if u wanna do law, then 2unit option is fine, but if u wanna do acturial studies or shit like finance, then u should work ur ass of in 4unit and 3unit...

and yeh, if u study 5 hours a day, every single day hten ur gonna get at least 98... lol

i mena think about it... 5HOURS A DAY!!! thats tons man... but thats every single day... not do it for a week rest for a week... like somebody said, consistency.... 3 hours consistent is much better than alternating days of 5hours....

anyway post us ur decision!

aditya

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
why dont we just say, band 6's in everything will guarantee u a 90.00+ uai!
cuz we arent stupid like u??? im not saying its rong... just really really poitnless and stupid :|

aditya

HSC
90 uai is like 75 avg of ur scaled marks.... ur on about 90 for all ur subjects.. good call m8

D

dude431

You guys missed a few key elements:

Firstly, I am not aiming for 99.5, I just mentioned it to see how much people actually study to achieve that, and whether they really work *that* hard. It seems, as some of you have mentioned, consistency is the key. Fair enough. Most of you have been replying to that, and not what the whole point of my post was about.

Let me quote it for you:
Would it be a good idea to just concentrate on doing extremely well in either 3U or 4U rather than trying to juggle both? Or is that a risk I shouldn't take. Or would it even be viable for me to drop all the way down to 2U? That seems radical but since I've done all the work already, if I just practised 2U in the time I spend on 4U + 3U homework/study, I could potentially do really well in 2U.
Some of you have addressed this, and thanks for doing so.

I have been juggling with SAM heaps so I know what aligned HSC marks get you where. Granted, I'll cut you all some slack in that I wasn't specific when I said this: "what would it take to achieve a 99.5+?" But really what I was after was how much people study, not what marks you need, since I can easily obtain them myself.

But like I said, many of you are missing the whole point of my post. For that reason, I've removed the second part to make my thread clearer.

D

dude431

Well I've decided that keeping all my units of maths is the best option at this point in time.

Though I can't rescue myself completely, I figured that the trials + HSC examination is worth 70% of the total assessment for both 3U and 4U, that I still haven't done. If I can do reasonably well in both the trials + HSC, I still have a good chance of getting say the mid to high band 5's for maths.

Am I right in what I've said?

To reply to everyone else:
why dont we just say, band 6's in everything will guarantee u a 90.00+ uai!
People who post in this forum would obviously already know that.

I thought a band 6 in everything gives you 99+UAI, especially with the subjects he is doing.
It does.

in the top range of marks, the value of marks increases.
I'm aware of that, but thanks for pointing it out. I've tried it with SAM, the difference in marks to achieve a 97 for example, differs substantially with the marks required for the 99+

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by aditya
cuz we arent stupid like u??? im not saying its rong... just really really poitnless and stupid :|
hmmm.....a bad attempt to attck someone in ANOTHER thread when you cant the original right.....:rolleyes: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)