• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Summer TV on TEN (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
Ten Goes Shopping At Nine

The Ten Network has gone shopping at the Nine Network again.

This time it has picked up Supernatural, Reunion, Veronica Mars and Smallville from Warners (sub-licensed from Nine).

Veronica Mars is for summer and there are suggestions that Smallville will be shown on Thursday and Sunday nights at 7.30 pm.

That's due to start on Sunday November 27, the first day of the summer-unofficial ratings period. the second episode is due to be shown the following Thursday. It could then just settle into a once a week showing.

Smallville has already aired on Nine but wasn't successful.

This time a year ago Ten picked up the OC from Nine and one other program called One Tree Hill. It disappeared but The OC caught on with Ten's core 16 to 39 age group.

Ten has high hopes for the Supernatural which is airing on the Warner Bros Network in the US to good ratings.

In fact the industry is surprised that Nine agreed to sell Supernatural and is a further sign that the network is skewing away the younger audience and staying in the 25 to 54 age group.

Nine is also thought to be short of product for 2006 and could have been expected to hang on to as much US-sourced material as possible.

Smallville was a failure for Nine and had no future.

The others have not been shown here.

Veronica Mars features the acting debut of Joss Wheadon, the creator of Buffy, which is right in Ten's demographic.

Reunion is on Fox in the US and again seems aimed at Ten's core group of viewers.

The sale of these programs (sub-licensing) will generate much needed income for Nine and no doubt if these are successful, the amount due to Nine will rise in some way).

Ten of course has made picking the discards from the other networks into an art form. Some fail but many work successfully.

Neighbours, Australia's Brainiest Kid (both from Seven), Seinfeld (at Nine), Everybody Loves Raymond, (Nine and Seven), Brainiac and Pimp My Ride from Pay TV and not to mention Bert Newton who went from Nine to Ten and has gone back to Nine.

Ten even picked up repeat rights for Sex and the City, which went to air on Nine, and also the early Jamie Oliver cooking programs.

That gave it a chance of picking up the first run rights for two new series from the chef this year and a new series in 2006.

Meanwhile on Nine's Sunday program last Sunday a good story on one Sydney family's coping with an autistic child.

It was reporter-less and there was no back announcement as to the authorship of the story.

But it came from a pilot for Nine prepared earlier this year by Andrew Denton's company, Zapruder's other films.

For whatever reason Nine could not make its mind up about the pilot, which was a program in the Australian Story mould, so negotiations were ended.

But it's believed the family involved wanted their story told so it was arranged for it to be broadcast on the Sunday program last Sunday.

Which it was, along with another fine story by Ross Coulthart on the settlement of a long-running stain on the lives of two Australian Anzacs and their families.

The Anzacs served with the New Zealand Army and were executed France on the Western front for alleged desertion under fire.

It was nothing like that as the Sunday story explained (an earlier story had gone to air in 1998).

Both stories stood out on the day (compared to 60 Minutes for example) and would stand comparison with most other stories of their kind this year.

Summer tv lineup

-- may change

Sunday
6.00 The Simpsons
6.30 Brianiac
7.30 Smallville
8.30 Movie

Monday
7.00 Raymond
7.30 Veronica Mars
8.30 Movie

Tuesday
7.00 Raymond
7.30 Surface
8.30 NCIS
9.30 Numbers

Wednesday
7.00 Raymond
7.30 The Simpsons
8.00 Futurama
8.30 Strong Medicine
9.30 Blind Justice
10.30 Secret Life Of Us

Thursday
7.00 Raymond
7.30 Smallville
8.30 Medium
9.30 Charmed Uncut

Friday
7.00 Raymond
7.30 The Simpsons
8.00 Futurama
8.30 Movie

Saturday
6.30 One Tree Hill
7.30 Family Movie
8.30 Movie

I just saw an ad for Smallville while watching Video Hits and was so excited.

Gummy_bear

HSC
It looks pretty good.
I love charmed and i was hoping it would come back on, they jsut stopped it suddenly, in favour of the simpsonsons
i love the simpsons, dont get me wrong, but there is such a thing as too much ><

This almost looks better than their usual runup of shows.

EDIT: Love futerama, but only ever saw 4 eps. soo looking forward to this too! :D

Last edited:

persephone

HSC
I remember when they were showing promos for that... forgot all about that...

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
FUTURMAAAAAA!!!! NCIS !!!!

What happened to The Sopranos and 6 Feet Under.

Screw Medium.

arrested development
HSC
Veronica Mars shits all over the competition. :uhhuh:

It's such a shame that Channel TEEN were so incredibly lazy with the promotion.....:(

payafee

HSC
i hated how channel 10 compared Veronica Mars to The OC... they're nothing alike.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i don't care as long as they get people to watch. best show on tv by far

persephone

HSC
I saw that ad for Veronica Mars, saying that is was a cross between the OC and Twin Peaks (at least that's what I heard, my hearing may be off). It looks good.

J

jhakka

Thank god for the lack of 18 episodes per day of The Simpsons and more than one episode of The Nanny per week. :D

payafee

HSC
theyre only showing for the summer. unless it gets super high ratings then it wont be axed.

payafee

HSC
grk_styl said:
Did I just see Paris-the-skank-Hilton on an ad for Veronica Mars, or was that my imagination?

HOORAH to ch 10 for bringing back Smallville and One Tree Hill!
yes that is her on Veronica Mars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)