• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tafe or repeat year 12?! HELP ON INTERNATIONAL STUDIES! (1 Viewer)

Tafe or Repeat year 12 if UAI 65 not reached.

• Total voters

masterpho

HSC
I am currently undergoing the HSC exams this year and next year I really want to do B International studies; and i applied for many alternatives to get into it, but that requires me to have at least an UAI of 65. HOWEVER I am somewhat convinced by the SAM calculator that i might not make it to 65. So my question is:

Is it possible to transfer from tafe from, say a language course such as Japanese (because i wanna continue studying it after year 12), to International Studies? if so whats the requirement?

If its not possible or if it's better, should i just repeat year 12 ? because i am convinced i can do better than what I can now.

Also im going to apply to Tafe, just in case, this week.
HELP? please?:worried:

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
theres no point in repeating yr 12....just do a course at tafe and transfer after the completion of a diploma.
Or you can wait till youre 21 and apply for the mature age scheme.

Begbie4017

HSC
I would say def go to TAFE if you work hard and dont mess around it is not that hard to get distinction av. I did a dip in Bus Marketing totally unrelated to my degree. At Maq U I received tonnes of credit so I dont have to do any electives.If my diploma was related to my degree then I could of had some exemptions.Being mature age doesnt count for much.All unis are different.
TAFE will also give you some qualification that may help you with a uni job in the field you're interested.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
^ I agree, if you transfer from tafe, you can get credit from the tafe subjects and this can mean you skip to Year 2 in your Uni degree. But that's if you do subjects in Tafe that the Uni considers similar to their subject.
I even heard some people transferring without even doing the whole tafe diploma. I think you can apply at even certificate 3 level, provided you have great marks which shouldn't be too hard i'm assuming, depending on how much you're willing to work to get into uni.

But remember each semester of Uni is very much like doing the school HSC, so you need to be prepared to work hard if you want to go to Uni. Full-time procrastinators and lazy bums don't get degrees.

dejan1989

HSC
Sorry Phuong, best idea but repeat year 12 or just go to japan and get high on watchin naruto

masterpho

HSC
Aight thanks everyone lol.. im pretty sure Ill get into it without repeating ..

Tafe sounds good .. if not theres other alt ways of getting in .. ive been digging around

but we'll see it all depends on that damn UAI lol

RTTTYTR

HSC
Definitely go the TAFE option, as it will get you advanced academic standing (which the HSC won't) and AFAIK (Don't rely on my statement) you can get into any uni regardless of your UAI if you have at least credit average in your relevant TAFE diploma.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Umm if you can just do arts or social science or whatever and major in political science and a language or political economy or whatever other direction you would like to see yourself go in international studies, if you dont do well in politics you probably wouldnt do well in int.studies either, unless you're doing it for the language etc.

If you do well either transfer, or you can simply replicate the degree within the BA, any degree can take exchange semesters.

nessyfreak

HSC
i'd say ring the international studies department of a uni (the one you'd like to eventually go to) and ask them if they can recommend a tafe course that will correspond well with their degree. Or ring the tafe and ask them the same question.

Season

HSC
Hmm, can I ask why you screwed up your HSC? If you have a good reason then repeating the HSC probably isn't a bad idea- its free and after doing well you can go straight across. However if you did badly for some stupid reason related to actual schooling style then perhaps school isn't for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)