• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Taking ACST101? This course has changed slightly from s1 2015! (1 Viewer)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!

I've just seen the unit guide for acst101 for semester 1, 2015. (You can find them all here: http://unitguides.mq.edu.au/units)

From the unit guide:

This course has been redesigned and as such it has changed significantly from the previous offering. Some of the topics covered have changed and the material now covers more asset classes. The elements and techniques sections have been integrated and spreadsheets have been introduced."

This guide clearly indicates that there is a new lecturer, course convenor and that the content and outline of the unit has changed to an extent from previous semesters.

Please keep this in mind when reading other peoples reviews on the subject as depending on the extent of the changes, their opinion may not totally apply anymore.

For anybody that's taken acst101 in the past, yes, David Westcott is no longer running it! Did he retire? Did he find an even more evil subject to coordinate? Who knows!

mreditor16

HSC
Bump for the MacqUni kiddos doing Actuarial Studies as well. :)

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
It looks like an easier verson of afin252 now ;o

v1

HSC
Hi guys!

I've just seen the unit guide for acst101 for semester 1, 2015. (You can find them all here: http://unitguides.mq.edu.au/units)

From the unit guide:

This course has been redesigned and as such it has changed significantly from the previous offering. Some of the topics covered have changed and the material now covers more asset classes. The elements and techniques sections have been integrated and spreadsheets have been introduced."

This guide clearly indicates that there is a new lecturer, course convenor and that the content and outline of the unit has changed to an extent from previous semesters.

Please keep this in mind when reading other peoples reviews on the subject as depending on the extent of the changes, their opinion may not totally apply anymore.

For anybody that's taken acst101 in the past, yes, David Westcott is no longer running it! Did he retire? Did he find an even more evil subject to coordinate? Who knows!
Westcott confirmed retired (I asked a lecturer)

crazy_paki123

HSC
how sad. I loved big old grumpy Davey Westcott. Shame. I think theyre introducing spreadsheats for acst201 prep perhaps?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
If spreadsheets are in later subjects, it makes sense to put them in the introductory class.

Anyway, I use (rather simplified) spreadsheets regularly at work (in accounting/tax). Defiantly a good thing to introducte in my opinion

kingofgames

HSC
N/A
Oh no he retired? Too bad for the new kids. End of a long era... of all right right teaching and surprisingly entertaining grumpiness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)