• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Talking your way into the course of your choice (1 Viewer)

HSC
After recieving my UAI i changed my uni preferences to courses with UAI cut-offs close to/below my UAI, without little knowledge of the dramatic drop in cut-offs for 2005.
I really wanted to do B Social Science at UNSW but I didn't put it as my first preference only because I didn't think i would get in, considering the 2004 cut-off was 85.3 (5 UAI points above my UAI).

Looking at the cut-offs for 2005, it's 78.00 and i realised i could of easily gotten in.

Is it possible to literally talk my way into the course now, before Late Round offers?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
why would you get special treatment? it would just confuse their system. why cant you wait till the late round?

HSC
That's true, but i hear people have actually TALKED their way into doing a course whose cut-offs were higher than their UAI.

Late round offer cut-offs are usually much higher and i don't think i could get in.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
really? well i guess theres no harm in trying that. but one thing you should have done (bit late now) is always put your top preference first

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
yeh im pretty pissed about the cut offs dropping soo much too
i also didnt put down some courses i wanted to do because i thought i wouldnt haf gotten in... but looking at da cut offs . if i put dem down i woulod of gotten in ... bugga !!!!!!!
das jus life mate..

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I talked my way into mine... but I did it before main round offers.. I rang them up and arranged for an interview and sent them a portfolio and a resume and kept bugging them.. they caved and let me in :p

SweetSeasons

HSC
And children this is why you put your uni courses in the order that you want to do them and not the order of which you think you have the best chance of getting in.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
shnizen hizen...same thing happened to my friend
i guess theres nothin to lose now so send them a letter

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
thecurtainfalls said:
Late round offer cut-offs are usually much higher and i don't think i could get in.
that's what you thought would happen for the main round and look what happened.

dun let history repeat itself - you gotta be in it to.. well be in it :rolleyes:

Generator

HSC
N/A
SweetSeasons said:
And children this is why you put your uni courses in the order that you want to do them and not the order of which you think you have the best chance of getting in.
Yes. Just remember that it was/is a preference list and not a 'what can I buy with my uai' list... I know that there is a need to be realistic, but with 9 preferences there is more than enough room to aim for what you want yet also keep your options open with a safety course or two.

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
I did the same thing, I left the course I really wanted as first - but it was around my UAI anyway, but I left others out because I didnt think I had a chance of getting in!! But hey, you can always transfer...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Always order your preferances in order of, well preferance not UAI cut-off.....

Get down on knee's and ah..... beg.

Write letters, send references, copy of academic transcript, if at all possible arange a face to face interview. If you cant arrange one, then just rock up and ask to see someone who can help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)