• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Teachers leaving half way through HSC course (1 Viewer)

Lilizzy1939

HSC
During my time in the HSC course I have had 5 changes of teachers
What is your opinion on this and has it happend to you before?
ARGH so annoyed :evilfire:, as I have to get used to their teaching style.

Constantine

HSC
It depends on the reason, some I can understand but for most I really judge upon.
If it's a family emergency or bad accident etc., then yes, although I'm upset about it I can understand. However it has happened to me before and the reason provided to us was that the teacher just quit teaching because he didn't feel like it anymore. That, I really can't understand and was extremely angry about it. It was irresponsible and selfish. Luckily my new teacher is a fantastic teacher, better than the previous. Also another teacher left for a term because she decided to go on holidays.

It's interesting because back in Year 10 I had a teacher who got informed mid-year that his application for a one-year paid holiday leave was successful and he can leave straight away. He wanted to but he chose to finish the year with us and then go on his travel around Europe. You'd think teachers who has HSC classes will be much more considerate and thoughtful than Year 10 teachers ahahaha.

Anyway advice is work around it. For a while I was really down and complained about it a lot, but at the end I realised it doesn't really change anything. What's done is done. What you can control is your attitude towards the event and hopefully everything will get better from there. Life isn't all about what you want, and in life you just have to deal with these type of situations (sudden departures, communicating with individuals you don't like etc.)

Having said that, from a student's perspective I'm not happy about it no matter what the reason for leave is.
I understand, but I'm never happy with teachers' sudden departures, unless they're that bad.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
woah wtf
that's so annoying :( are you able to talk to principals or anything about having a more stabilised HSC course, i.e. where the teacher doesn't change?

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I feel ya - my awesome teacher left who was replaced with what one might say is somebody who does NOT deserve to be paid.

Depending on the subject, it's just easier to independently learn - don't bother with the teacher's BS (if they're shit that is - if they're good, give them a chance). Of course, this isn't possible for really hard courses. Please be more specific with what subject(s) this has happened in and then the advice you get will be more specific. :p

x0x0 gossip sloth

Lilizzy1939

HSC
Well my CAFs teacher left to go onto maternity leave at the start of this year.
In term 4 last year I had the same teacher for Biology as for Prelim. The start of this year I had a really awesome new teacher for Bio but this changed when she took over my Chemistry class because my teacher from prelim and term 4 gained a higher position at another school. So then I had a different set of teachers sharing a job teaching my Bio class.
My Maths teachers also changed at the start of this year as lots of people decided to drop to general and we had to combine with the class that had the Extension kids in it. I have been fine with this change as it was gradual instead of quite sudden.

HSC
thats totally fked and its totally not fair at all as it will take time for u guy to adapt hope its going great for u

Makematics

HSC
i had 3 teacher changes during hsc, and a few more during prelims. wasn't that bad tbh, ended up with good teachers imo

jdennis

HSC
My maths teacher left suddenly last week due to a medical condition that meant he could no longer teach. The condition had been ongoing but eventually it got to the point where his doctor told him he had to stop. It was actually really sad, he was crying as he told us he couldn't finish the year with us.

enoilgam

HSC
During my time in the HSC course I have had 5 changes of teachers
What is your opinion on this and has it happend to you before?
ARGH so annoyed :evilfire:, as I have to get used to their teaching style.
It can be very annoying when this occurs, but to be honest I dont think it should affect you that much because ultimately you are primarily responsible for your own performance. That being said, I dont think it is fair that teachers/schools do this to students without good reason. Like, if something unexpected happens then fair enough (i.e. illness). But if a teacher knows prior to taking on a HSC class that they will be leaving, then that is poor form. Schools should only give classes to teachers who are committed and able to see a HSC class out until the end because it's really unfair on students to have a teacher leave mid-way through the year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think one of the maths class at my school is on their third maths teacher o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)