• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The domestic affairs of countries should be subjected to international scrutiny (2 Viewers)

murphyad

HSC
Well it's all countries or no countries (in terms of immunity or not), otherwise the argument becomes pure hypocrisy imho.

Though I would say the state is not exactly an infallible entity, so it should not be treated as such.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think that thee has been some confusion here between scrutiny and intervention. I think that all states should be subject to scrutiny however intervention is a far more controversial area. Should we intervene when it is in our interests (realism), never intervene or intervene to address grave human rights abuses? Who should decide whether an intervention is justified; the UN? whomever is powerful enough to intervene with impunity?

What is intervention? Overt military action (Iraq), proxy wars (Nicaragua), covert operations (??)...?

HSC
I think that thee has been some confusion here between scrutiny and intervention. I think that all states should be subject to scrutiny however intervention is a far more controversial area. Should we intervene when it is in our interests (realism), never intervene or intervene to address grave human rights abuses? Who should decide whether an intervention is justified; the UN? whomever is powerful enough to intervene with impunity?

What is intervention? Overt military action (Iraq), proxy wars (Nicaragua), covert operations (??)...?
Hmm. Yeah, I agree with you about the lack of distinction between scrutiny and action, but I would suggest that this is because scrutiny so often leads to action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)