• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Fountain: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
By Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream & Pi)

About the 3 parrallel stories (or so imdb says). It encompasses 1500 Spain, 2000, and 2500 A.D. and the man's struggle to save the woman he loves.

The trailer is here and the movie is out on the 25th of January

Nominated for several different awards including Golden Globe.

I have massive expectations of this film given that I was in awe when I first saw the trailer and given it is by the same director who did Requiem for a Dream. I see images that it probably will deal with in the trailer, so I'm stoked. Things about the centre of the earth, reincarnation, Mayan references, oh the intertextuality! I haven't read the reviews as of yet.

I also love parallel stories and ideas about reincarnation (I think). I love what might sound like the theme; immortality, death and spirituality.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Very mixed reviews on rottentomatoes, only 50% fresh at the moment. I liked Requiem For a Dream, although not quite as much as virtually everyone else seems to, so I'll no doubt get around to it eventually. I have a somewhat conservative streak in my taste in movies, in the sense that I usually tend to suspect the very 'ambitious', which is the one word that's being consistently used in most of the reviews. I'm even more suspicious of it because another thing that's being said a fair bit is how much of himself Aronofsky poured into it. Sure to be a huge hit or a massive disappointment.

icecreamdisco

HSC
saw it in the states. it's not as bad as some of the reviews will tell you, and it's far more coherent too, once you figure out which portions of the film are imaginary/allegorical (more reminiscent of 2046 than 2001). but it feels an hour too short and the characters are essentially ciphers for the film's themes, which are none-too-subtle, to say the least. plus, it's so damn self-serious and overburdeningly solemn. AND, some of the imagery is really poorly chosen and silly, which is especially bad since the film's tone is so poker-faced.

still, it's worth seeing for its originality and ambition. great score, and hugh jackman really throws himself into the role, despite it being pretty flimsy. and a score by kronos quartet w/ mogwai!!!

konstantine'

HSC
I really want to see this one. I read an article about it the other day and the way Hugh described it made me wanna watch it; plus I'm a sucker for his movies lol :eek:

I thought the movie was released Nov last year but I guess I must have misread it for the US release. Can't wait :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
but it feels an hour too short and the characters are essentially ciphers for the film's themes, which are none-too-subtle, to say the least. plus, it's so damn self-serious and overburdeningly solemn.
Exactly what I was afraid of. I'm never really worried about being confused, but being alienated by self importance is something I try to avoid. Is what it has to say interesting enough at least icecream?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It's not about reincarnation if it's like 2046 like icecream says it is. More likely that some of the time periods in the trailer are just imagined by one character in one time period.

icecreamdisco

HSC
Benny_ said:
It's not about reincarnation if it's like 2046 like icecream says it is. More likely that some of the time periods in the trailer are just imagined by one character in one time period.
yeah, that's is. however, it's also frustratingly vague in some aspects, so the thematic weight never truly registers.

as for what you asked before; the theme of undying love is at least handled interestingly, but you also have to hear at least 100 mini-speeches on how death is an act of creation etc., which gets tiresome.

still worth a look.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
saw it.

beautiful imagery
but a let down
though I had high expectations...

Ah, way to add to my already slightly *emo* moode

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Saw it the other night with the missus - she cried the whole way through it. I found it to be quite deep, and the imagery was amazing. Quite impressed, even though it seemed to jump uncontrollably and was quite vague in certain areas. Beautiful.

Finish it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)