• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Pill (1 Viewer)

temporaryremedy

waterbottle said:
no. you have 12 hrs leeway. which is good for me because sometimes i forget to take it in the morning but i still have time when i come home from school.
Yer i know this for when you forget it, but im talking about taking it each day when you remember.

I was told its meant to be the same time each day, if using it for contraception, but i dont know how close to the same time this is?

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
temporaryremedy said:
Yer i know this for when you forget it, but im talking about taking it each day when you remember.

I was told its meant to be the same time each day, if using it for contraception, but i dont know how close to the same time this is?
i try to take mine within one hour.
which is between 5-6pm

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I take mine before I go to sleep.

It's weird, after two years of it, I actually CANNOT sleep without taking it

which sucks when my sleeping pattern varies

don't do this, kids.

Rory

HSC
I've been on the pill for about 3 years now for ovarian cyst related issues, and so far I haven't noticed any real side-effects, my weight fluctuates but it has always been like that. I pay like $30-ish for a box with 4months worth of tablets. I'm not sexually active but when I am I'll still be using a condom.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
My pill is Monofeme (used to be known as Monofeme 28, but they have since updated it), and I've been on it since I was 16, so thats going on 4 years now. I decided to go on it for two reasons; my period gave me really, really bad cramps to the point where I had to take days off school. I also wanted to take it for contraception. At the time I wasnt sexually active, but knew I would be soon and wanted to be prepared. I just went to my GP and ta da, she gave it to me. It is really, really cheap- $19 for 4 months worth, but thats because it was more used to help my period issues... I think it tends to go the stronger the pill, the more expensive it is.

With my ex we used both the pill and a condom, but with my current boy we just rely on the pill. Its much more intimate and feels a lot better, but I'd only do this with someone who I was comfortable with. I guess with my ex we were just too young to really take on the responsibility if something happened, but I'm in a more secure, mature relationship now and I feel its best this way. It does suck though when I miss a pill (happened a few weeks ago) and you have to wait forever (ok, 2 weeks but it feels like forever) to be protected properly again.

Oh, and I take mine in the morning. I used to be v. paranoid about it, like set alarm for 8 am regardless of whether I was awake or asleep to take it. Found this method sucked, and now just take it whenever I wake up. Regardless of what some people say, it doesnt destroy the effectiveness of your pill if you dont take it same time every day... as long as its within 12 hours or so it should be fine according to my dr.

Last edited:

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
green_fairy said:
This is a stupid question but for those of you that are on the pill was it your own choice or did your gp recommend it? If they didnt did you just tell your gp you wanted it and they're like yeah ok and write you a prescription?
I decided before going on a summer holiday (for my birthday actually) that I would prefer to be able to swim/enjoy the holiday/my birthday without my period. I suggested getting the pill to my mum (we're open). My mum saw no reason why not to, she knew I didnt want it for contraception and she suggested to keep it for the year so I dont have to have my period (which is heavy-ish and makes me extremely moody and larthagic) so she talked to her cousin so I didnt have to talk to my GP. My mum's cousin came over, took my blood pressure (I was lucky it was actually lowish because my blood pressure increased slightly after usage but has levelled out now) and talked to me about it. She came back with a prescription and a booklet about FAQ and answers. I skim read it but it was mainly about accuracy for contraception. The end.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Katie123 said:
by the sound of it mine is expensive. i think i need to askmy dr for a new type
some brands are private owned, hence the reason why they are more expensive.
and these private owned ones you cant get cheaper with a health care card.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
omg its so weird reading that a few bosers have taken the pill this year to avoid getting your periods for the hsc? why is that??
Being a guy I think the best way to describe it is:

Like eating a cookie in bed and getting crumbs all over the place, you just wont feel comfortable so you avoid it completely.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Being a guy I think the best way to describe it is:

Like eating a cookie in bed and getting crumbs all over the place, you just wont feel comfortable so you avoid it completely.
aren't you a cutie.

come here so i can hold you.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Rory said:
I've been on the pill for about 3 years now for ovarian cyst related issues, and so far I haven't noticed any real side-effects, my weight fluctuates but it has always been like that. I pay like $30-ish for a box with 4months worth of tablets. I'm not sexually active but when I am I'll still be using a condom.
my gp wanted to put me on the pill for pcos, but when i went to the endocrinologist he said that'll really screw me up in the future when i go off it. it happened to my aunt actually, she's had major problems and major operations cos going on it fixed the problem temporarily but made it so much worse later on.

ummm they found out that the pcos which was causing my probs was impacted by insulin resistance so i'm on metformin (a diabetes drug) 3 times a day and combined with exercise and healthy eating it's fixing me up. I've lost 4 kgs recently, and it's usually hard for people with pcos to lose weight. but i found i still have acne, so now i'm on another drug which actually stops all male hormones in my body.

so for medical reasons, it has the same results as the pill, with no side effects, and more benefits. only it doesn't work as a contraceptive, not that that's a problem for me.

Rory

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
my gp wanted to put me on the pill for pcos, but when i went to the endocrinologist he said that'll really screw me up in the future when i go off it. it happened to my aunt actually, she's had major problems and major operations cos going on it fixed the problem temporarily but made it so much worse later on.

ummm they found out that the pcos which was causing my probs was impacted by insulin resistance so i'm on metformin (a diabetes drug) 3 times a day and combined with exercise and healthy eating it's fixing me up. I've lost 4 kgs recently, and it's usually hard for people with pcos to lose weight. but i found i still have acne, so now i'm on another drug which actually stops all male hormones in my body.

so for medical reasons, it has the same results as the pill, with no side effects, and more benefits. only it doesn't work as a contraceptive, not that that's a problem for me.
I know what you mean. The pill hasn't solved my issues completely, I have to have another ultra sound because I think the cysts are back, but the pill keeps them at bay temporarily. I don't think there'll ever be something that'll help it completely but the pill works well enough on a short term basis.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Rory said:
I know what you mean. The pill hasn't solved my issues completely, I have to have another ultra sound because I think the cysts are back, but the pill keeps them at bay temporarily. I don't think there'll ever be something that'll help it completely but the pill works well enough on a short term basis.
yeah the way the endo described it was to say that my ovaries are weaker, they're faulty, so when you take the pill, you're overriding them and making it normal. but when you go off the pill they have to start working on their own again, and because they're faulty in the first place it's a lot harder for them to go about normal functions again, thus causing major problems. that's what happened to my aunt, the cysts nearly killed her. literally.

Rory

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
yeah the way the endo described it was to say that my ovaries are weaker, they're faulty, so when you take the pill, you're overriding them and making it normal. but when you go off the pill they have to start working on their own again, and because they're faulty in the first place it's a lot harder for them to go about normal functions again, thus causing major problems. that's what happened to my aunt, the cysts nearly killed her. literally.

Bah that sucks, reckon I'll just get rid of mine at this rate lol

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I take mine before I go to sleep.

It's weird, after two years of it, I actually CANNOT sleep without taking it
Withdrawal problems?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i've been thinking of going on the pill for a while now, only for contraception... and being able to control my periods would be a nice change.

my friend's been on it forever, and she never used condoms with her boyfriend (of nearly 3 years), until her friend, in the same situation, became pregnant. the pill's not 100% (no contraception is, i guess), so now my friend uses condoms as well as the pill. her boyfriend's not too happy about it, only coz he's not used to condoms.

i thought, well if i'm still going to use condoms for the extra precaution, what's the point of getting the pill? meh... i'm still thinking about it. my cousin strongly advises against it, but she's never been on it and thinks it'll affect your ability to conceive etc...

ZacG

HSC
I guess I'm used to condoms enough for it to not really be a problem... and the pill's probably not worth the risks simply for contraception.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
there's always the option of abortion if the pill for some reason doesn't work
Thats a whole different story.

Contraceptives to prevent a baby but up to fertilization some people just can't "kill off" a child.

You should always wear a condom and use the pill for safety, don't rely on the pill soley. Like I posted up a site before in a previous post but I guess noone bothered to read it and educate themselves of all the problems and precautions you have to take. You only have yourself to blame in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)