• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The transition form high school to university (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I'm a first year too, so I may not be too qualified, but from what I have read around this site, it seems that if people are going to intentionally miss anything, it's lectures, not tutorials lol.
Most tutorials will probably either have a roll call and an attendance rate to pass or have tutorial participation as an assessment, so it's probably best not to miss them XD

I have two consecutive 9 a.m. starts... And they are both 9 hour days with 8 hours of classes! Whoopee! haha...

Dragonangel

HSC
I'm a first year too, so I may not be too qualified, but from what I have read around this site, it seems that if people are going to intentionally miss anything, it's lectures, not tutorials lol.
Most tutorials will probably either have a roll call and an attendance rate to pass or have tutorial participation as an assessment, so it's probably best not to miss them XD

I have two consecutive 9 a.m. starts... And they are both 9 hour days with 8 hours of classes! Whoopee! haha...
Tutorials are compulsory.
GAHHH... and at 8am for the whole semester too. x_X

Lydia_88

HSC
No uniform - you can dress up like you're going out of rock up in your PJs (unless you have labs, as mentioned above)

No daily lunchtimes with your friends - unless you make some with the exact same timetable

A bigger campus - you will probably get lost for a few days. And may have to travel for a loooot longer than you did to school.

Weird names for buildings/rooms - a lot different if you went to a small school

No one forcing you to do homework - apart from assignments, studying isn't actually compulsary for uni. Unless you intend to pass. And don't expect reminders about when your work is due; you'll only get told once.

No one forcing you to show up - some lectures/tutorials take a role call if you need a certain % attendance, but depending on the course you may never actually have to step a foot into uni (not recommended; even if you're half asleep in a lecture, you'll learn more than if you tell yourself you'll read the lecture notes but never do)

Completely different friends to the ones you had at school - you may only see them once a week, and they may live on the other side of the state from you. But you'll generally have a lot more in common with them as you've both chosen the same field to study.

More demanding work - I wouldn't go as far as saying it's HARDER than year 12, but you definitely are expected to learn more in a shorter period than you would at school. I swear some stuff covered in a one hour lecture would be taught over weeks at school

More stuff to do in your free time - Unis often have more food outlets/shops to visit and there's plenty of groups to join that'll give you a wider social circle and the occasional free lunch

All kinds of people - at school you only had people living in your area, your age. At uni there are people from all kinds of nationalities, all ages, and all socio-economic backgrounds. But everyone's really friendly :)
agreed to all the above..love the free time now at uni i have compared to high school :haha:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
The biggest difference is you are responsible for your own learning, no one is checking you are doing the work, that is left entirely up to you.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Also forgot to add that your booklist isn't compulsary like it was at school. The books are generally double the price of ones at school and only ever really help when assignments are involved. Unless you plan on reading your textbook regularly and doing all the exercises (haha; I tell myself I'll do this every semester; never happens) you're better off just borrowing it from the library.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Wasn't a massive change for me personally, I was pretty self directed in high school, but yeah it's a more chilled learning environment and you can move at your own pace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)