• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on HSC and trial workshops and lectures? (1 Viewer)

dinotropical

HSC
I have been looking at HSC in the Holidays and TSFX as well as study camps and been wondering if it's worth going. I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on who actually signed up or heard any stories from those places. The abundance of testimonials also seem suspicious. They go on about kids going there getting 99 atars but nothing about the amount of improvement of each student - maybe some of these former student where destined to get high atars? Do these places thrive on paranoid students? It all boils down to this - By studying hard and smart and always striving to improve ranks and marks be enough? I've already got tutors for Advanced English and 2U Maths - my weakest subjects. I don't know if signing up for these places on top is going to make a difference anyway.

Thanks

Last edited:

aanthnnyyy

HSC
I have been looking at HSC in the Holidays and TSFX as well as study camps and been wondering if it's worth going. I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on who actually signed up or heard any stories from those places. The abundance of testimonials also seem suspicious. They go on about kids going there getting 99 atars but nothing about the amount of improvement of each student - maybe some of these former student where destined to get high atars? Do these places thrive on paranoid students? It all boils down to this - By studying hard and smart and always striving to improve ranks and marks be enough? I've already got tutors for Advanced English and 2U Maths - my weakest subjects. I don't know if signing up for these places on top is going to make a difference anyway.

Thanks
I've had friends that go, they say it helps (provides resources and other info), but you are right at the end of the day it all boils down to how hard YOU work. - in the end you should get what you put in. I haven't gone to the workshops (although I was going to go), yet I am still achieving better results than these friends.

Nevertheless, if you are weak at a certain subject, one of these TSFX lectures may be rather helpful just to really summarize everything on the syllabus

HSC
Go if you're overwhelmed with the content so they can help you make sense of everything. I'm only going because people already organised some for me : )

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
For Maths, it helps with summarizing content. I went to the summer school one, so it was a bit different, but I found that while I got some notes for the year it didn't overly help him. for example I went to a english advanced T.S eliot lecture where we got booklets with notes and questions, and the lecture involved going through the first poem and analysing it however we didn't even get through the second page of the poem! And later on when I studied it at school, the school teachers had found a powerpoint by the same English TSFX lecturer which was an exact replica of the notes I had gotten! I felt a bit ripped off because I expected that considering we paid quite a great deal of money for these lectures was in fact available on the net for free.
seeing as u already have tutors I don't think it would be that helpful. Because, at the end of the day its how much you can study. for example, with TSFX they go really fast, so no normal student can keep up, meaning u still have to study it when u go back home. In the end u might just be better off studying it at home. But that's just my opinion from the summer class. I did find some aspects useful, but they claim they have quality notes but I personally feel they are quite generalised and u'd probably have the notes from school.
in terms of the people who go to these lectures, I personally went hoping for a bit of a headstart and also because I sucked at maths. most students go there because they are anxious about doing well usually,

keepLooking

HSC
Just for the notes they give, yes. For the time you spend in the workshop and money - no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)