• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Time management. HELP! (1 Viewer)

emmawriteslove

HSC
Hey Guys.
I'm in year 11 and was just wondering how you all manage your time in order to have an equal balance in every aspect of your life?
I can't do it!! I've been trying to get out and exercise a bit more (this year i haven't been doing too much and feel yuck LOL!) or have a bit more of a social life but when i think about doing this, i manage to make an excuse as to why i shouldnt... ie study or homework.
I feel like there is one aspect of my life such as school that should be coming above everything else and i hate it!! I want to be able to do everything and not feel like one thing should have priority over the other.
Anyways, i hope i haven't gone off on too much of a tangent and you can decipher this post as to what im trying to say, hahaha!!
Any help is much appreciated!
Cheers : - )

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
i do everything as they come which is probably not a good example.
But my economics teacher said to do a timetable of everything you do including watching tv and others stuff.

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I heard people make a complete timetable of their week (include free time, eating dinner ect.) and follow that timetable and apparently it works.
I still manage to play club soccer, go out with friends and do homework. Its all about getting into a pattern that works for your lifestyle.

selablad

HSC
Try and do something that is structured, so you can't talk yourself out of it. Eg you said you wanted to do more exercise, so join a sports team or a fitness club or something. That way exercising/social life becomes a natural part of your week, not just an add-on extra thing that you only do when you have some spare time. You don't have to go all out, just one or two things so you don't get overcommitted :D

If you worried that you won't have enough time for school etc, don't be :) You'll find that you'll just adapt to the new pattern, and work around the extra commitment, and you'll end up having enough time.
Homework/study is like a gas (grade 8 science, haha). It expands to fill the available space, but if you give it less space, it doesn't care, it'll just adapt to that (within limits of course). That's kind of how I think about it anyway

emmawriteslove

HSC
hey, thanks for the ideas!
I will definitely take them up but even as i sit here now i begin to make excuses as to why i shouldn't or over think it. Already I'm thinking "what if i make the timetable up, but don't allow enough time for homework?" or just stupid little things like that. Ridiculous i know. I guess its all about breaking those habits and retraining the way i think in a way.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
lol you think too much, timetables don't really work for me, If you happen to procastinate .. your whole timetable is screwed up.
Just write a list of the things you need to do and finish it off within a time frame.
I always manage to include one&half hours of exercise on most days (i take days off when i'm sore). I either do it before I start my study or after I finish all my work. Never in between, I get distracted.

jellybelly59

HSC
I agree with adidasboy... I personally can't stick to a timetable and there is no way u can say "hey im gonna finish hw in like an hour and a half"... It's impossible because some days u get hw that is due tommorow and it's just either hard or there is just too much of it and if ur not specific on a time period for ur work in ur timetable it leaves room for procrastination. I just make sure i do my work on time and i spend whatever time i need to finish it. Time management for me is not my thing either LOL except for when it is exam period i make myself follow a timetable of study where i just allocate a certain study period (e.g 7-11pm) and everything else is free time.

emmawriteslove

HSC
thanks so much everyone!! i will defo try them tips.... i guess i have a way of over complicating things which is my problem... plus i am a perfectionist.
thanks again guys : - )

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
I agree with adidasboy... I personally can't stick to a timetable and there is no way u can say "hey im gonna finish hw in like an hour and a half"... It's impossible because some days u get hw that is due tommorow and it's just either hard or there is just too much of it and if ur not specific on a time period for ur work in ur timetable it leaves room for procrastination. I just make sure i do my work on time and i spend whatever time i need to finish it. Time management for me is not my thing either LOL except for when it is exam period i make myself follow a timetable of study where i just allocate a certain study period (e.g 7-11pm) and everything else is free time.
Yeah agreed, timetables fall apart for me. I tried one in Year 9 (yeah, I thought it was actually an important year back then). :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)