• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top Ten Units? (1 Viewer)

panda-bum

HSC
Okay guys, I just wanted to clarify something. I`m in Year 11, nearing Year 12 and was just wondering...

I understand that you must do a minimum of TEN UNITS spread over a minimum of FOUR SUBJECTS. But when they do the calculating of marks for UAI, they take the top TEN units right? But does that necessarily have to be spread over these FOUR subjects? [Sorry, not good at this describing thing -.-*]

Here`s an example:
Say that I do and score the following marks overall;
-4U English [90%]
-3U Maths [90%]
-3U Japanese [90%]
-2U Chemistry [60%]

I have the required amount of ten units in my first three subjects that I do well in, but I`ve heard that because the minimum amount of subs is four, they HAVE TO include the extremely low score of Chemistry in that example. Is that correct?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
hmmm im not TOO sure, but i thought they just took the best 10 units, whatever they are.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
you need the 4 for your HSC, you UAI is a separate entity I believe. Only the best 10 units. For example - 4u Eng(99 in each) + 4u Math(99 in each) + 2u Latin(99) gets included and the last subject of VET IT(15) does not.

panda-bum

HSC
oh ok. so that means if in the example above, i fail my chemistry then it wont be counted? xDD

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
panda-bum said:
oh ok. so that means if in the example above, i fail my chemistry then it wont be counted? xDD
Like I said and showed you in the example the best 10 units are counted, regardless of the amount of subjects making up those units. You should still try not to fail your chemistry though as there is still a possibility that you could do well in it and it would help your UAI then.

panda-bum

HSC
so does that mean our UAI is calculated based on the average percentages we get in our top ten units?

furrycatau

HSC
N/A
UAI is calculated on a number of different factors, not just average percentages.

krystalp

HSC
they will take your chem as only the best 2 units of english are chosen. if you were doing only 10 units including 4unit english then 4 units would count, but as you are doing 12 units they dont.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)