• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Trying to motivate myself to study (1 Viewer)

SydneysideStudy

HSC
Hi guys, I'm gonna keep this short n sweet. Basically, I have my final Year 11 exams coming up and, to be honest, I'm finding it really hard to give a shit. Like I know when Year 12 comes around I will be motivated and ready to learn, and I was able to do that for my accelerated subjects which I've now completed the HSC (mostly) for. However, when it comes to Year 11, I find it really hard to motivate myself to prepare for exams which I know will have little to no impact on the rest of my life. I'm expected to be studying and to be a good student, but what is even the purpose of that? How tf is getting 80% in a Year 11 maths exams gonna help me for the rest of my life? Anybody got any advice on how I can motivate myself here?

jojosiwa123

HSC
It's difficult but keep in mind your year 11 exams are the only practice exams you'll get until trials next year, you get to familiarise yourself w exam room stress etc etc. You're also starting yr 12 in a few weeks so don't lose the momentum you've built up, its ok to take a break though for your mental health, if you're feeling deflated.
Many people have that "I'll start studying in yr 12" attitude but it doesn't just magically appear- its a built up thing, use that as your motivation to study, even if you can only do an hour a day- that's better than nothing! good luck!

SydneysideStudy

HSC
It's difficult but keep in mind your year 11 exams are the only practice exams you'll get until trials next year, you get to familiarise yourself w exam room stress etc etc. You're also starting yr 12 in a few weeks so don't lose the momentum you've built up, its ok to take a break though for your mental health, if you're feeling deflated.
Many people have that "I'll start studying in yr 12" attitude but it doesn't just magically appear- its a built up thing, use that as your motivation to study, even if you can only do an hour a day- that's better than nothing! good luck!
How much prep did you do for your Year 11 exams? Or did you have the "I'll start in Year 12" kind of mentality as well?

shashysha

HSC
Hi guys, I'm gonna keep this short n sweet. Basically, I have my final Year 11 exams coming up and, to be honest, I'm finding it really hard to give a shit. Like I know when Year 12 comes around I will be motivated and ready to learn, and I was able to do that for my accelerated subjects which I've now completed the HSC (mostly) for. However, when it comes to Year 11, I find it really hard to motivate myself to prepare for exams which I know will have little to no impact on the rest of my life. I'm expected to be studying and to be a good student, but what is even the purpose of that? How tf is getting 80% in a Year 11 maths exams gonna help me for the rest of my life? Anybody got any advice on how I can motivate myself here?
that's perfectly normal dont worry, its an exam that will have 0 impact on year 12 and your hsc (unless your school has requirements for extension subjects but you should ask and find out). personally i studied like the day before each prelim and it went fine, but i was more looking forward to the break after prelim before HSC so i guess that's what motivated me to study. Maybe try make incentives for yourself to do well, but know if it doesn't go as well as you hoped then it'll have little to no impact.

I would recommend a few weeks after prelims to take a break then lightly study for year 12 work to ease yourself into the HSC year. Everyone has the "I'll start studying in yr 12" attitude but rarely do people actually implement it. read syllabus, get to know what you're actually learning for year 12 even if its only for 30-60 minutes a day, it'll put you ahead of others.

overall though, its just prelims lol you'll have a much bigger problem in 12 months (as i am now) so don't stress too much about it. Good luck!

Minaaa

HSC
Honestly same, my prelims start next week and im tryna cram in as much theory as i can but its hard cuz i dont have any motivation either. However, i like to listen to 95+ atar students give talks on youtube while i study, as a way of motivating and inspiring myself to be productive. it's like listening to a podcast except theyre just sharing their hsc experience and giving out study tips. Hope this helps aha

Kyufruit

HSC
Well, you can get a friend jump in and help you out. For example, I’m realllyyy struggling with chemistry, so I made a deal with @Etho_x that if I get 50% on my prelims, I’ll be picking what movie/anime we’ll be watching together over the holidays, and if I don’t, he’ll pick.
Though its not really a BIG reward, its enough to keep me motivated to study to at least PASS.

I remember last year during maths, i was tied with another girl in my class for the top spot. We used to make bets to see who would come first, and the one who doesn’t will have to treat the other and take her out. This was enough to keep us on our toes for the rest of the year, making fun of each other while promising we’ll come first. We studied day and night, and for the first time, it actually felt fun to study, it was like playing a video game.

Try this, maybe it’ll motivate you to study, even just a little <333

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Yr 11 and yr 12 results have a very strong correlation. The "I know when Year 12 comes around I will be motivated" applies to everyone so frankly it's a useless mentality.

Well, you can get a friend jump in and help you out. For example, I’m realllyyy struggling with chemistry, so I made a deal with @Etho_x that if I get 50% on my prelims, I’ll be picking what movie/anime we’ll be watching together over the holidays, and if I don’t, he’ll pick.
Though its not really a BIG reward, its enough to keep me motivated to study to at least PASS.

I remember last year during maths, i was tied with another girl in my class for the top spot. We used to make bets to see who would come first, and the one who doesn’t will have to treat the other and take her out. This was enough to keep us on our toes for the rest of the year, making fun of each other while promising we’ll come first. We studied day and night, and for the first time, it actually felt fun to study, it was like playing a video game.

Bet money. :) And enough to make you worry.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A

Not only just that but a face reveal : P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)