• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAI estimate so low? (1 Viewer)

nayfin

HSC
well i do economics , general math , standard eng , business studies and modern and when i put my scores in estimating say 65 for each subject i end up with a UAI of 47.20. i mean why is it scaling down so much :|?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
nayfin said:
well i do economics , general math , standard eng , business studies and modern and when i put my scores in estimating say 65 for each subject i end up with a UAI of 47.20. i mean why is it scaling down so much :|?
Because 65 is a shitty mark. Even if you are getting marks like 65 in school assesments, these are your RAW marks, and SAM works on ALIGNED marks.

So even if you get 65% raw in your HSC, your aligned marks will be higher than this. Try putting in some higher marks. Once you start to put in marks higher than about 75, you will see your estimated UAI score increasing a lot.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
nayfin said:
65 means you are expecting a mid band 3 for all your subjects (remember band 3 is the second lowest band you can get that is considered as meeting the standards set.) are you really expecting a band 3 for all your subjects?

Last edited:

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
65 means you are expecting a mid band 2 for all your subjects (remember band 2 is the lowest band you can get that is considered as meeting the standards set.) are you really expecting a band 2 for all your subjects?
65 is actually a mid band 3

SimonLee13

HSC
The score you get as an average is not what you get as a UAI. UAI isn't an average of your marks. That's why you think its so low.

blackratpoo

HSC
the uai is a rank........most people that average 80's+ in all subjects are scaled up because they are at the tip.

most people get stuck in the 70-80 range and are scaled down because this could be where 40,000 kids are. However there might only be 7,000 in the 80's+.

65 is extremel low aligned mark and im suprised it scales in the 40's.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
firstly u do gen maths and standard english which are SHIT subjects

berna007

HSC
remember, the aligned maek is a score between 50-100..so if u get raw mark of 65, its like 75 aligned..coz if u get like 5%, u'll get like 51 lol

Nevermore

Godlike
HSC
nayfin said:
The reason why it scales down so much is because 65 is a below average mark compared to the rest of the canditure, your uai is your rank not your mark by saying that i mean (%100 - %47.20) = 52.80% of the canditures this year got higher had beaten your all-round mark of 65, to get a higher uai you must have an aligned mark which is above average

So your uai pretty much depends on how well you do and how well the canditure do

dp624

HSC
Yeah it's kind of annoying how Bored shoves it up so high then UAC throws it on the floor again haha.

*marimari*

HSC
Because 65 is a crappy mark and you should go suicide yourself in the face if you get those kinds of marks

Also because your subject selection is dismal.

Try doing some 'cool ppl' subjects like extension 2 maths, adv english, classical greek extension etc and you'll see your uai prediction go up heaps

georgefren

HSC
lol. Or do mad humanities like eco, mhistory, ahistory, 3+4 eng. Because even though they dont scale so well you can get almost state ranking marks with much less effort :)

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
lol. Or do mad humanities like eco, mhistory, ahistory, 3+4 eng. Because even though they dont scale so well you can get almost state ranking marks with much less effort :)
Everyone has different preferences to which subjects suit them
I could as easily say do chem, phys and maths - cos you can get high marks in them with little effort. You'd probably disagree though.
Personally I think I might struggle with humanities

P4M

HSC
umm doesn't your rank matter? like you could be getting those marks but topping the class cos yur school sits hard tests etc

every school is not a fixed variable. uac will compare you with how your school does, your classmates and as well as the state to dertermine yur mark.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I know this is off topic..and most probably a dumb question
but still..what is the point of prediction your uai?
its not like yuo can change it after you know it..=S

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
Because 65 is a crappy mark and you should go suicide yourself in the face if you get those kinds of marks

Also because your subject selection is dismal.

Try doing some 'cool ppl' subjects like extension 2 maths, adv english, classical greek extension etc and you'll see your uai prediction go up heaps
lol ur a funny 1

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I know this is off topic..and most probably a dumb question
but still..what is the point of prediction your uai?
its not like yuo can change it after you know it..=S
Just gets you settled incase it turns out to be a big shock LOL, but you could study harder for trials and HSC to increase it from the actual prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)