• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Usyd jd (1 Viewer)

tradingplaces

HSC
Has anyone heard about this? Supposedly being implemented in place of the grad law degree in 2011? Does anyone know the details or practical implications, or is it simply the same degree with a new name?

izzy88

HSC
I think there will be some changes. However, essentially it appears they are just rebadging the LLB to a JD so that they can charge full fee students.

I found this document on the USYD website, its from February this year, so not sure if its the most up to date, but it is about the proposed JD program.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/ab/committees/grad_studies/2010/JD_Feb2010.pdf

Last edited:

tradingplaces

HSC
I will be applying for this in either 2011 or 2012. I hear it will be the same, just new name.
I think I will be applying for this next year too. I am really unsure about the transfer policy now in regards to credit transfer. I am currently completing a law degree at another university and have taken courses in foundations, criminal law A and B, Torts A and B and Contracts A and B. I really wouldn't want to be completing all of those courses again.

I know under the old credit transfer policy (for the grad LLB) that theoretically i would have been able to get credit for all these (although probably wouldn't) however it appears that the credit transfer policy for the JD is different.

Ideas?

izzy88

HSC
I think I will be applying for this next year too. I am really unsure about the transfer policy now in regards to credit transfer. I am currently completing a law degree at another university and have taken courses in foundations, criminal law A and B, Torts A and B and Contracts A and B. I really wouldn't want to be completing all of those courses again.

I know under the old credit transfer policy (for the grad LLB) that theoretically i would have been able to get credit for all these (although probably wouldn't) however it appears that the credit transfer policy for the JD is different.

Ideas?
I don't think they have actually completely finalised the transfer policy for the JD. At usyd, we are still having 'information sessions' with the faculty to try to figure out if current grad LLB students, or combined LLB students can transfer over to the JD, and there has been no definitive answers....

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Lol our Foundations instructor gave us a big spiel about it ... we were advised to stick with the LLB if we're given a choice to rebadge our degree in 2012.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)