• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UTS or Macquarie? (1 Viewer)

Casablancas

HSC
Ok, so I left it a tad too late. Im tossing up between Law/Business at UTS or Law/Business at Macquarie. I've heard UTS is 'better' but Macquarie is only a 30-40min bustrip, while the traffic in and out of the city is atrocious. Macquarie has an awesome social campus, but so many people leave with Macquarie business degrees that the prestige sorta falls flat. Whereas UTS has a better reputation (i hear) but that secluded tower building totally sucks and its less social.
UNSW would be ideal, but fricken 1hr1/2 away(by car :mad1:)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The degree is all the same to most employers. I'd choose the university which is the most money efficient, easily accessed, friendly and most suited to you.'

It sounds like you really want to go to Macquarie but have some weird urge or pull toward UTS... :). If you really like Macquarie, choose it, I would. I have a couple of friends that go there and they love it - the business faculty is great, I hear.

dolbinau

HSC
I'm not too sure about the reputation of both Unis, I mean Macquarie seems like a stronger and higher ranked/more focussed in research Uni than UTS, and with our new library and since we have a physical campus etc.. it seems like we have (or will have) better facilities. The Vice Chancellor also seems to have a strong focus on funding research/raising rankings etc.. (there is a private hospital which is going to open in a couple of months on campus with a postgraduate medical school, and the head research/manufacturing premises of COCHLEAR, which I guess will be part of it) - though I don't see how this will affect the faculties you want to study in, except for again just an overall focus on research/reputation - which I guess is how to quantify prestige? I don't know..

But apparently Macquarie's law department isn't too strong anyway, with UTS 'better' for it. But this is 'hearsay' from this forum too so I don't know :-/. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful AT ALL, lol.

mckensara

HSC
i was keen on going to UTS over club mac, because the law degree is seen as second tier to UTS.

it doesn't have the same reputation for law, i would suggest that UTS is closer to NSW and USYD... however it depends on which one you value the most - the law degree, or the buisness aspect of the degree.

also business and law are in the same building :) haha not that that really makes much of a difference at all

above all, go with your gut feeling!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Just thought of mentioning that the traffic in the city is irrelevant when considering UTS as it is a short walk from Central Station.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'm not too sure about the reputation of both Unis, I mean Macquarie seems like a stronger and higher ranked/more focussed in research Uni than UTS, and with our new library and since we have a physical campus etc.. it seems like we have (or will have) better facilities. The Vice Chancellor also seems to have a strong focus on funding research/raising rankings etc.. (there is a private hospital which is going to open in a couple of months on campus with a postgraduate medical school, and the head research/manufacturing premises of COCHLEAR, which I guess will be part of it) - though I don't see how this will affect the faculties you want to study in, except for again just an overall focus on research/reputation - which I guess is how to quantify prestige? I don't know..

But apparently Macquarie's law department isn't too strong anyway, with UTS 'better' for it. But this is 'hearsay' from this forum too so I don't know :-/. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful AT ALL, lol.
Summed it up nicely

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)