• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Vactioner Programs (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Conspirocy said:
You will then be given an offer that is designed to trap you. Its aim is to secure you into a job so that you do not look at what else is out there. You should look at what other jobs there are. I would go to an accounting firm last, even a Big 4 one.

Oh and on another note, most ridiculous thing I have ever seen is a vacationer having a "restraint of trade" clause for when they leave in their contract. Even worse is that they have to sign the restraint of trade clause on three different papers, and then twice when they leave.
are you referring to the grad offer after the internship ? does it mean if you sign the grad offer then you are not allowed to apply for any grad jobs at another place?

ps. i thought that restraint of trade thing should only apply for a few mths....is that a long time?

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Sort of an old thread.. but suprised I've kept my nose out of it!

brogan77 said:
Last vac period:

E&Y; Deloitte: $26/hr
KPMG: $24.50/hr
PWC: $22.xx/hr

9% compulsory super inclusive.
Lol.. if I were a vac last year I would be annoyed.. with 2007 intake rates in mind..

Conspirocy said:
A 'trained graduate'? What exactly do you think that means? A trained graduate at a Big 4 firm, knows how to use their systems and procedures, how to fill in their time sheets, how to deal with the independance policy, and the firms marketing etc. The firm is not adding value to you that you can take with you. They teach you how to operate in their business model, if you ever left a lot of your training is irrelevant. Not to say that some of it isn't. You will however pick up bits and pieces working in your particular area - is that really training?
I understand what you mean.. obviously the administrative differences will hardly follow through..

Wouldn't know what a VAC program is like but for long-term work there's lots of room to undertake industry training courses and skill-based training courses in addition to role-specific training... eg. Intensive courses on retail banking, microsoft powerpoint in addition to the stuff you'd expect like audit/tax training.

Conspirocy said:
Actually, I'm being unfair about UWS. There was one peson from UWS at the firm I worked at, they were actually pretty good.
What's with the attitude against UWS folk? :-/

havy said:
are you referring to the grad offer after the internship ? does it mean if you sign the grad offer then you are not allowed to apply for any grad jobs at another place?
Again, not sure about VAC.. but for traineeships the entrapment that I believe con is describing is a contract thats signed after the initial 2 years (assuming you did a 2+2 program).. the contract in a nutshell entitles you to a study allowance while you do uni full-time, on the premise that you return to work as a grad.

If you don't accept the study grant then you have no obligation to return to work as a grad.

If you accept the grant then change your mind, you simply have to pay it back upon breaking your contract.

The grad offer is a seperate contract thats only written up around the time you'd be starting your grad job.

havy

HSC
Vagabond said:
Again, not sure about VAC.. but for traineeships the entrapment that I believe con is describing is a contract thats signed after the initial 2 years (assuming you did a 2+2 program).. the contract in a nutshell entitles you to a study allowance while you do uni full-time, on the premise that you return to work as a grad.

If you don't accept the study grant then you have no obligation to return to work as a grad.

If you accept the grant then change your mind, you simply have to pay it back upon breaking your contract.

The grad offer is a seperate contract thats only written up around the time you'd be starting your grad job.
thx alot for the explanation,

you've mentioned that the grad offer is written up at the time ppl start their grad job, so sounds like candidates can still hav time to apply for other companies' grad positions before the deadline.

but wat if the offer acceptance deadline is....lets say march (right after the Vac period)? That would be way before the grad recruitment season. wouldn't that mean ppl will either: sign the grad offer and agree not to apply to any other firms, OR reject grad offer, apply to other firms, but there is a risk of not getting any.

I also wonder if it possible to extend the offer acceptance deadline for like a few mths?

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Again, not sure about how VAC offers work.. what I explained applies to traineeships..

I personally haven't heard any stories of VAC people being locked into contracts of sorts :-/

Edit: I'm also under the impression that even if offered a grad contract (before grad recruitment) you won't be blacklisted if you decline, and still be able to re-apply for a grad position.

Blacklisting only applies if you do something... unprofessional.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
in the ICAA booklet, the deadline is early march. like the 2nd or 3rd and from what I hear, it sounds like a "lock in" situation since you're not supposed to apply for other grad jobs when you've accepted an offer already. You could just go for it, I guess, and if you get one and take it, I'm not sure how much trouble you would be in for reneging on your original offer :p

havy: did u get a vac offer? if you did, you shoudl've been given an ICAA booklet outlining all of this with dates etc

havy

HSC
I did get a vac position and I hav read the booklet, thats why i was asking about it. I still think that maybe different firms hav different policies...and hopefully there's a chance of extending the deadline.

But i dont know whether the offer is a "lock in" or not, since someone else suggested that it is not strictly binding etc...ah so confused >< might as well wait till I finish the internship and then ask...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)