• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

WAM too low for IPT (1 Viewer)

Estele

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm very worried for my future.

Here's a run down of my academics in the past two years.

I'm currently enrolled as a second year Commerce and Materials Science student at the University of New South Wales.

My WAM (54) is horrible due to my disinterest and lack of motivation for the subjects I have taken.

I do not think it'll be worthwhile to pursue my degree if I'm stuck with my current WAM.

I have not followed the program structure (as outlined in the Handbook for my degree).

I've only taken Finance subjects (with the exception of ENGG1000, ENGG1811 and MATS1192).

Over the two years at university I've come to the realisation that I was only doing commerce for the 'money'/ parents wishes.

Finance and material science are definitely not for me and I have found interest in computer science.

Though for an IPT a WAM of 65 is required and as stated before my WAM is only 54.

I've applied my IPT through myUNSW. Is there any chance my IPT will be accepted?

My ATAR in 2014 surpasses the cut off for Computer Science at UNSW. Can I apply again through UAC without my WAM being taken into account?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Estele.

Last edited:

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Which degree do you want to switch to?
Yes you can use your UAC again and it seems like ur only chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Estele

HSC
Hi Jes,

I am hoping to transfer into Computer Science at UNSW.

Just to confirm, UAC will only look at my ATAR?

Thanks for your reply.

Estele

HSC
Hi D94,

Thank you so much for your help!

Another question, will my WAM/ academic transcript reset after I transfer into another course at UNSW?

Have a good day.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think it will show on your transcript as a separate section, but you will have a new and separate part on your transcript for after you commenced another program.

Estele

HSC
Hi anom,

Will they show my marks or just show that I've previously taken these courses?

Also, will I be able to credit transfer for ENGG1000 and ENGG1811? Did fairly well in these (everyone does) and would like it to count towards my WAM for CompSci!

Thanks!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
ENGG1811 isn't part of the core. You might be able to get it accredited as a first year elective, although that seems a bit dodgy so it might not be accredited.

ENGG1000 can be accredited for Computer Science.

You also might be able to get away with MATS1192 as a first year elective. Try to get them accredited by the Comp Sci program coordinator. Talk to them about it (find out who they are and send them an e-mail now!).

As for marks, I think they are shown for your previous courses on your old section of the transcript.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Jes,

I am hoping to transfer into Computer Science at UNSW.

Just to confirm, UAC will only look at my ATAR?

Thanks for your reply.
I think so. Please confirm with ur faculty tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)