• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

wanky overintellectualised music (1 Viewer)

wanky overintellectualised music...?

• ...is good

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • go home and listen to your post-rock already

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • you tool, what did you post another poll for?

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'd rather listen to wanky OVERintellectualised music than wanky UNDERintellectualised music like that manufactured, conveyer belt shit that drowns the airwaves these days.

guy

HSC
so it was offspring that are your favourite band right?
haha just kidding i don't mind the old spring

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Trust me, I hate their new stuff. I love their old albums, anything up to Americana...and that album is pushing it's limits.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Originally posted by Loz#1
I'd rather listen to wanky OVERintellectualised music than wanky UNDERintellectualised music like that manufactured, conveyer belt shit that drowns the airwaves these days.
i know what you mean, without a doubt; the stupidest song i've ever heard is fever for the flava by hot action cop

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i know what you mean, without a doubt; the stupidest song i've ever heard is fever for the flava by hot action cop
Yeah, that was shit, but i'm also talking about that manufactured pop/r&b crap...I don't listen to it, but I see it on MTV...the amount of new rappers that come out each week is absolute crap. And I like my music to have meaning, all these people talk about it wine, sex and ahh 'true' love.

guy

HSC
Trust me, I hate their new stuff. I love their old albums, anything up to Americana...and that album is pushing it's limits.

ahhh! i hate people like you! If i like a band i like them to the end!
and my point wasn't really talking about new offspring, its not like their lyrics are that poetic, and that they really try new stuff
but hey i like not thinking sometimes

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
gregor i love both dirty three and sonic youth.. ESPECIALLY the diamond sea!!
dirty three are just so fucking innovative <-- you need wanky words for the wanky music thread
and yeah sigur ros are without a doubt one of my fave bands... i really really want to see them live, and radiohead too. how much does listening to 'staralfur' just make you go "ahhhhhhh :)"
ive heard a bit of mum (sorry i dont know how to do the fancy u) and theyre very calming and nice!
Cool. That ten (or so) minutes of feedback on The Diamond Sea rules (Especially when it goes into the slow end of the song.). What are your favourite SY songs? Mine are;
-The Diamond Sea
-Anagrama
-Tom Violence
-Schizophrenia
-I Dreamed I Dream (Very claustrophobic.)
-Inhuman
-I Love Her All The Time
-Teenage Riot
-Trilogy.

confusion is next and after that is the truth

The Dirty Three are a very 'different' band, and it's great how many different moods they can generate through just those instruments, like on Sue's Last Ride, where it goes from relaxed and 'light' to cathartic. Warren Ellis is a great violinist. Whatever You Love You Are is my favourite album of theirs, it makes really good reading/work music, helps me concentrate. And besides, the painted album covers are a bonus. :p

'Staraflur' was the first Sigur Ros song I ever heard. It's still beautiful. (Although Ny Batteri is better. ;) )

And for a cheap recommendation, I think you might like My Bloody Valentine. Try 'To Here Knows When' or 'Sometimes' (Possibly my all-time favourite song. It makes me feel like I'm floating, it's brilliant.)

Sorry to ramble, but it's good that there are people around here who are into similar music to me. Virtually no-one knows any of these bands at my school (Then again, most people at my school don't even know Radiohead.. :() , being loosly divided into 'generic R n B' and 'generic punk' fans, but each to their own..

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
oh fuck, i missed the sonic youth conversation! best albums are confusion is sex, washing machine and daydream nation!
and i missed the dirty three conversation too! my favourite band! best album is ocean songs, then horse stories! and greg like sues last ride! fucking best song ever!
and greg likes do make say think! i have all their albums! never heard of any one else who knows them!
and how good is djed! where the whole song turns inside out on itself!

arrrrrrrr!

*falls over*
oh god! the exclamation marks!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by um..
and slint too! im getting spiderland on vinyl. how good is don, amen?
The Exclamation Marks.. Gadzooks!

But seriously, cool. Where are you getting all these albums from? I want them. :p
Living in Western Sydney, the music stores here are pretty lame, and the albums I want (DMST, GYBE, Slint etc:) are hugely expensive. No fair.. (I usually have to rely on mp3's)

Don Aman is quite the song (Aren't they all), but I think my favourites from that album are 'Washer' (Possibly the best use of musical tension I've heard in a song. It's also neat because I can play most of it on guitar.. As well as the opening to 'Breadcrumb Trail' :p) and 'Good Morning Captain' (Especially the climatic screaming, which stands out that much more because of the vocal contrast with the rest of the album)

As for the Sonic Youth, I haven't heard all of Washing Machine, just a few songs off it..Need to hear the rest. Good to see someone else into Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols. (Gotta like at least some no-wave.)

Perhaps you'd call The Dirty Three Authentic Celestial Music? *Ba-boom-chish*

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
oh man, authentic celestial music is my favourite song off that album, as well as see above sky below

but, my slint cd i got from JBHiFi up here, cost $40...i heard the best cover of washer not long ago by matt blackman, who is the singer in a sydney indy band purplene

ahh.....most of my do make say think and GY!BE albums i got from a shop up here called abicus, expensive but good. and yer

my sentence structure skills seem to have left me

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Yeah, that was shit, but i'm also talking about that manufactured pop/r&b crap...I don't listen to it, but I see it on MTV...the amount of new rappers that come out each week is absolute crap. And I like my music to have meaning, all these people talk about it wine, sex and ahh 'true' love.
hey! no one can knock hot action cop off of the top of the crap pile!~

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
hey! no one can knock hot action cop off of the top of the crap pile!~
Haha...whilst it is high up there...I reckon there's a few contenders.

yeahyeahyeahs

i loved the "warp" label (aphex twin, autechre, squarepusher, plaid etc). there is nothing finer than just getting home from school, loungin it, listening away! as for calling it overintellectualised and wanky i dont think it is at all. music is just music, listen and enjoy--no need to overanalyse :)

as for mum and sigur ros, they are just icelandic cool...you guys should go to the metro if you can (dont worry if your under 18, i got into interpol nice and easy), im sure mum would put on the atmosphere they are so reknown for.

happy listening.

spell check

HSC
best thread

go post rock, i just got horse stories, silver mt zion, GYBE, do make say think and explosions in the sky, my bloody valentine and mogwai albums in the last few weeks

the dirty three are far and away the best though

Last edited:

artfag

Banned
HSC
my bloody valentine ain't post rock buddy

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
"Post rock" was first used in The Wire magazine to describe stereolab and tortoise.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
I thought only people in year 12 listened to post rock anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)