• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are you going to do next year? (2 Viewers)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
lyounamu said:
Um. That's probably one of my situation too. I am both good at Biology and Chemsitry. However, I prefer Biology over Chemistry (only by 100 times). Then I should go with Biology, shouldn't I? That's where the problem arises - scaling of Biology is low!

At the end of the day, should I choose Chemistry sorely because it has got better scaling? I don't think so. Next year, I will drop Chemistry (wise, wise decision, that is) because your interest must come first.

However, let me ask you. What are the two subjects that baffle your mind? Unless the scaling difference is atrociously high, I wouldn't recommend you to go with the higher scaling subject. If you lack interest, you won't put much effort. HSC is all how long you can sustain your study routine. Choosing boring subject will completely ruin that.

So tell me, what are your subjects? I might be able to give some advices to lead you to the right direction. (hopefully!)
Thats what I have been thinking. I figure if the scaling isnt a massive difference, as long as I work hard and go really well, then scaling shouldnt affect me all that much.

akrinis

HSC
hey Namu, how do you organise your work? I've got stacks of sheets from various subjects that keep piling up, and I've no idea what to do about em.. because then I usually end up going through the whole pile and get confused- don't know where to start, uggh.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
Thats what I have been thinking. I figure if the scaling isnt a massive difference, as long as I work hard and go really well, then scaling shouldnt affect me all that much.
Impressive! You figured that out in Year 10 when I just figured that out few weeks ago, how slow am I?

Good on you. And please spread this message to everyone who struggles with the subject selection. :uhhuh:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
lyounamu said:
Impressive! You figured that out in Year 10 when I just figured that out few weeks ago, how slow am I?

Good on you. And please spread this message to everyone who struggles with the subject selection. :uhhuh:
Ive been reading the boards alot since I first joined. Its really helped to understand whats happening and how i can get it to work atleast a tiny bit in my favor.

Your definitely not slow Namu lol

Aznmichael92

HSC
i have finally found the answer to a uai of 100 even though u got like 480-484. Well I think I do. That guy told me he applied for this 5 extra consideration mark thingy which totalled him to a UAI of 100. He said he should of got like a 99.__

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
i have finally found the answer to a uai of 100 even though u got like 480-484. Well I think I do. That guy told me he applied for this 5 extra consideration mark thingy which totalled him to a UAI of 100. He said he should of got like a 99.__
Extra 5 consideration??? As far as I know, no such thing exists. He probably went through remarking or marking fixture procedure where he might be able to get extra marks. (I mean "get his marks fixed").

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Extra 5 consideration??? As far as I know, no such thing exists. He probably went through remarking or marking fixture procedure where he might be able to get extra marks. (I mean "get his marks fixed").
really? Lots of people told me u could get some sort of consideration mark to get into your course but i dont know. You are probably right about the remarking bit.

loz8888

HSC
doesn't the extra 5 consideration refer to the EAS (educational assist scheme) where u can get up to 5 extra UAI points for having hardship/sporting commitments etc throughout the year ????

akrinis

HSC
lyounamu said:
I'm not sure about the extra marks bit, because I've heard little about it, but my sister, who's studying Diagonistic Radiography at USYD this year, attempted to do Bachelor of Commerce (and hated it) last year which required a UAI of 95 I think, and hers was 93.5, but she made it into the course anyway, because it was believed we came from a disadvantaged setting, or something.

.. and could someone answer my post on the previous page?

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
akrinis said:
hey Namu, how do you organise your work? I've got stacks of sheets from various subjects that keep piling up, and I've no idea what to do about em.. because then I usually end up going through the whole pile and get confused- don't know where to start, uggh.
Im probably not the best person to answer this but i'll put forward my suggestion. Stick work sheets into your book (ie ones that you have written on and/or ones that have content written on them). One of my friends at school has a display folder/lever arch (not too sure) and she puts all her loose left stuff in that. She also puts past exam papers in these folders etc.

Aznmichael92

HSC
loz8888 said:
doesn't the extra 5 consideration refer to the EAS (educational assist scheme) where u can get up to 5 extra UAI points for having hardship/sporting commitments etc throughout the year ????
bingo! that is what i was talking about.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
akrinis said:
I am not the best person to ask this since I am not the most organised person that you will come across with. But I will try answering you question to the best of my ability. I have got folder for each subject and I put sheets into the each one. That's the first tip I will give you. Having a folder for each one allows you to be more organised.

When I get home, I usually take relevant sheets out and make them part of my notes and put them back. Once my folder gets too complicated to control (due to size, I put them into piles on the corner of my room so that I can still realise its existence while not paying too much attention on them.

To be honest, I do not get many sheets that are worth using. So I actually end up putting them into the bins (like Maths practice questions). But I make sure I know the contents of every sheet. For example, when I am given a Mathematics paper, I do them and make sure I mark the paper in the end, I take notes of my mistakes in the paper and once I do it, I throw the paper away since it has got no more use. Keeping those papers wouldn't necessarily help you as it will complicate your organisation. Keep in mind: organise like your own body, what comes in must be disposed off later. (but take in all the good things at the same time)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
bingo! that is what i was talking about.
EAS does not necessarily give bonus 5 UAI points. Under this system, you are only given 5 extra UNIVERSITY ENTRY POINTS when you apply for a university degree.

Your UAI stays the way it is. I have got a friend who got 94.75 UAI and he came to Australia 3 years prior the his HSC. So, under the EAS, he was elligible for 5 bonus university points not UAI. So, his UAI stays as 94.75 but his university entry point is 99.75 instead of 94.75. However, this scheme does not apply to some university courses such as Medicine. For some courses in USYD, 5 bonus UAI points is not added. They only add 1 or 2 points.

Let me quickly say that only minority of HSC students are elligble for 5 bonus UAI (or lower bonus UAI). Not everyone can get this.

It's a very good advantage for people who are academically disadvantaged due to their personal problems (e.g. poor English background, financial problem, poor school environment and etc). Good thing is that I am elligible for EAS as well giving me a great advantage when I apply for University courses.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know people who have received 'bonus UAI' (not quite sure if that's the correct term), because they have had national sports commitments whilst playing for various Australian teams (the guy I knew played for Australia Juniors Volleyball team).

Not that he needed it, he still got 99.05. :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
I know people who have received 'bonus UAI' (not quite sure if that's the correct term), because they have had national sports commitments whilst playing for various Australian teams (the guy I knew played for Australia Juniors Volleyball team).

Not that he needed it, he still got 99.05. :p
Yeah, that's my point. You don't necessary benefit from EAS. People usually apply for it for safety reasons. I will apply for it next year as well because who knows? I might screw my HSC up badly.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, that's my point. You don't necessary benefit from EAS. People usually apply for it for safety reasons. I will apply for it next year as well because who knows? I might screw my HSC up badly.
well if u can apply why not apply for the sake of it? it wont do you any harm if u did apply for it. You can only benefit from it or get nothing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
well if u can apply why not apply for the sake of it? it wont do you any harm if u did apply for it. You can only benefit from it or get nothing.
Yeah, I am applying for it as I said above. :cool: :uhhuh:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
What's your reason for applying?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)