• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What course should I do, Acturial or science related? (1 Viewer)

Krash

HSC
:confused: OK im really confused. My projected UAI is 95+but i am hoping to get 97.xx . My choices are actuarial/finance at macquarie (97.xx UAI), or a science related course such as pharmacy at another UNI.
I mean i'm more interested in physics/chemistry than i am with sitting in an office all day calculating risk but the job prospect for an actuary seems so high and the pay seems considerablly high aswell, and i'm pretty well off with maths.

The simple question is should i go after the money or my interests?

Any advice from people here who have completed their HSC and are doing acturial studies at the moment would be appreciated.

Thanks

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
well..
i was going to give you shit about asking random strangers on the internet to give u a decision on how you should spend a large portion of your life/youth...
but then i realized there was a philosophical question underlying it.....[or actually stated quite clearly..]

Money/passion.

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Krash said:
:confused: OK im really confused. My projected UAI is 95+but i am hoping to get 97.xx . My choices are actuarial/finance at macquarie (97.xx UAI), or a science related course such as pharmacy at another UNI.
I mean i'm more interested in physics/chemistry than i am with sitting in an office all day calculating risk but the job prospect for an actuary seems so high and the pay seems considerablly high aswell, and i'm pretty well off with maths.

Any advice from people here who have completed their HSC and are doing acturial studies at the moment would be appreciated.

Thanks
Try not aksing internet randoms. Figure it out for yourself, because in the long run, if you do choose the wrong course, you will only have yoursefl to blame no matter what.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
hahha awww..
it's his first post.
:):wave:
[remember BBS, we want to get lots of people addicted to bos so they fail their HSC ok!
god! stick to the game plan, don't scare them away..
they'll only study..
then we'll be pumping their gas.]

Dave2007

HSC
I hear that actuarians have absolutely 0 time for a life, and often have to go interstate/overseas and work 12 hr days until they're 30, get a more senior position and can finally take a step back. By that time they have at least 1.5 million in savings, but no partner/kids/family life deteriorated etc...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Dave2007 said:
I hear that actuarians have absolutely 0 time for a life, and often have to go interstate/overseas and work 12 hr days until they're 30, get a more senior position and can finally take a step back. By that time they have at least 1.5 million in savings, but no partner/kids/family life deteriorated etc...
I think its also because they're the kind of people that even if they weren't doing any sort of acturial work still wouldn't have a life.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nichhhole said:
hahha awww..
it's his first post.
:):wave:
[remember BBS, we want to get lots of people addicted to bos so they fail their HSC ok!
god! stick to the game plan, don't scare them away..
they'll only study..
then we'll be pumping their gas.]
oh right. OK, nevermind my post. :p

P

pLuvia

Dave2007 said:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Maybe except for the money bit :p

Do what you want, since you like science based subjects then go for pharmacy, it'll be bad in the long run if you decide to do something just for the money when you have no interest at all in the course. It'll be wasting your time and money.

I'm currently doing a Actuarial studies and maths degree at MACQ and it's quite good (for now) but honestly if you can't independently learn you'll have some trouble coping. Also you'll be assumed to have a high level of mathematical knowledge, reccommended is MX2, but MX1 is still alright.

But anyway the actuarial course is quite good at MACQ, the actuarial/finance combination is quite popular here at MACQ, but in the end it's up to you. If science is your thing then do pharmacy or whatever. If you want money then do actuarial studies, mind you if you don't do well don't expect good money. You need to work hard in the actuarial course

IceOnFire

HSC
Do Science, so I will have less competition for Acturial Studies.

It's not like I don't have enough competition as it is. :p

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Krash said:

Thanks
I'd go with interests.

vizman

HSC
ari89 said:
I think its also because they're the kind of people that even if they weren't doing any sort of acturial work still wouldn't have a life.
lol that's so true

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Why post this here? Actuarial relates to medicine how?
I'd go with Actuary if I were you. If you can consider such a course, do it.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
defer for a year. do a working holiday.

if i hadn't deferred i would have started an advertising degree - instead i worked in marketing and realised i hated it greatly.

milton

HSC
well you've got to think of it as a tradeoff between your genuine interest/passion in the area and the job/career prospects.

just getting into an actuarial course doesnt instantly guarantee you a well paid job. in the end, its the ppl who are truly passionate andf love their work who succeed.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
and medicine is both .. lets not lie.. $240/hr is a pretty good pay.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
of course... working in the free clinic.. is usually very poor pay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)