• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is school cert about? (1 Viewer)

eggwah123

HSC
N/A
Do you have to revise all you have learnt in year 9 and year 10 for the exam? :shy::shy::shy:

Or is it just year 10?:devil:

HSC
Uni Grad
The questions are fairly easy if you understand the content well in the content based subjects like Science and Geography/History.
And for the Maths and English section, it would be easy stuff (maths is 5.1 stuff, english is what everyone learns)
It's not like those critical question types that you get in much harder exams like the ones in the English comp, writing comp and maths competitions (where certain questions require more pure intelligence than what you've studied in school)

ValentinesM

HSC
the SC is fairly basic and you will be surprised at the easiness of it once you have completed your school yearlies, esp maths.
take a look at the BOS archive for past SC papers.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
To be honest you dont need to study at all. I didnt study at all and got a band 6 in science, rest around mid band 5s and 97 in computing skills.

People who studied throughout the year may have gotten mid 90s for each subject all band 6s etc. but the truth is we all go into year 11 the same...

EDIT: Just thought id mention, that to get marks similiar to mine or better without studying through the year you need to have a bit of natural ability, if you can get really good marks in your yearlies and half yearlies only studying when the exams are about to start then just do the same for the SC. But if you normally study a lot, then your going to have to keep doing that. Bassically keep doing what your doing now unless you feel you need to do better.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
...like General Maths.

But that's a different matter. I got 98 in Computer Studies, 95 for Science, and 93 for English and 92 for Hist/Geo with 88 in Maths without any study.

Forgot the rest - but if you're going into Year 12, it means absolutely NIL. I winged it and I was pleasantly surprised.

noeyedeer

HSC
You get graded from A-E for all the subjects you do in year 10
At the end of the year, you have to do six tests.

English - just comprehension and writing..not related to practically anything in yr 9 or 10

Maths - erm. year 9 and 10? but bloody hell most of it is multiple choice. very wtf.

Science - the 2009 sc was a joke. general knowledge and tiny bits of knowledge required from yr 9 and 10 - haha like what the uterus does - DUH HOLDS THE BABY ><

Geography - hahahahaa. When i got my results for this one i was "blown away". Yeh a little more studying for this test...if you can be bothered... In the 2009 sc, it was human rights and describing what's wrong with a place called Landsville (eg. airpollution, water pollution). Like they gave u this hillarious cartoon with tornados and kangaroos and factories. Just Year 10 for geo.

History - Yep you do need to study a bit more for this one....again if you can be bothered. The "Civics and Citizenship test (Geo+Hist)" has short answers and extended responses. You definitely do need to know SOMETHING about what you've been learning in year 10. No year 9 stuff for history. But it's fineee. Just some details are enough. =)

Computer - I thought I screwed up this one but nooo I came out okay haha. Spreadsheets and using programs like word processing and image editing..stuff like that. You obviously know how to use a computer so you will be fine. I know almost nothing about spreadsheets.

For the SC exams, all my marks were in the 90s (except for one..DIE ENGLISH) so i consider myself pretty trustworthy....
but that's the thing. For my school report I didn't get anything in the nineties (except art..but really) but i got these err really high marks in the SC exams...
which shows that these exams are preeety easy and you have nothing to worry about^^

Good luck but yeh don't worry about it haha.

EDIT: BTW The SCs don't matter later on. And I studied only JUST BEFORE each exam except computer (which means literally ten minutes before...*cram*). I was bothered to study because I knew my school report was shit (correct prediction..and if 'rents found out art was my best subject...*kill*) so i needed something passably nice to give to 'rents.><

Last edited:

Klutsov

HSC
The only subject you need to recall information from year 9 is Science

Maths is the dullest subject in it: Questions 26-80 are MC

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
The only subject you need to recall information from year 9 is Science
And only a very tiny bit too.

You should just study for Science, History and Geography, mainly the last two. Maths and English don't need studying for, unless you are failing Maths, and Computer Skills is really nothing...

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I was so over my yearlies and trials I couldn't be bothered studying for the SC. 2 weeks before the exam I made an effort and read my notes whilst procrastinating on Facebook. Geography and History requires a bit of study and so does Science. Math was not bad and for English, just read throughout the year and know your techniques.

I laugh at how worried I was after my exams. I was probably the most worrisome and retarded BOS after the SC but I was VERY surprised at my results. ALL BAND 6s :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)