• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is the best uni for secondary teaching(reputation wise)? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Does BEd convey any benefits over a DipEd? Or can you get by with just a BEd and not just a DipEd

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
A bachelor of education does not allow you to teach in NSW Secondary Education Schools.... It's worth reading the coursebooks related to education.

I'm not 100% but thats what I think the deal is, you need a DipEd to teach High School subjects whereas a B.Ed is just a generalist theory of education degree.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
IMO, the best teachers are those who have a great depth of knowledge in their field. So, I'd suggest either look for a combined qualification, ie BA / BEd, or BSc / BEd, etc, or look to get the teaching qualification after a first degree such as a DipEd, or better yet an MTeach.
hehe hence u should b a good teacher since u'll have a phd on top of teaching qualifications. :D

David27

Bach of Ed qualifies you to teach secondary. Whoever said it odesn't has no idea what they're talking about.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Raiks
A bachelor of education does not allow you to teach in NSW Secondary Education Schools.... It's worth reading the coursebooks related to education.

I'm not 100% but thats what I think the deal is, you need a DipEd to teach High School subjects whereas a B.Ed is just a generalist theory of education degree.
This is not true. You need a qualification that grants QTS - Qualified Teacher Status - to teach in a NSW high school, and this applies to the private system as well as to the public system. I know of only three qualifications that grant QTS - BEd, DipEd (or some equivs) and MTeach.
Originally posted by freaking_out
hehe hence u should b a good teacher since u'll have a phd on top of teaching qualifications. :D
Freaking_out, the irony here is that when I'm finished, I'll have BSc(Hons I), MEd, PhD, with the MEd in teaching and curriculum studies and the PhD in chemistry education, and I will still be considered unqualified to teach in a NSW school.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
...Freaking_out, the irony here is that when I'm finished, I'll have BSc(Hons I), MEd, PhD, with the MEd in teaching and curriculum studies and the PhD in chemistry education, and I will still be considered unqualified to teach in a NSW school.
why is that? :confused:

coz most of my teachers said that they did a BA or Bsci and then they did 1 extra year (in the education faculty), to become a secondary skool teacher. :S

anyways, i think u'll b over qualified to bcome a high school teacher- maybe u should just bcome a lecturer or work as a think tank or something. :D

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
UWS is pretty high up there with teaching degrees.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
just go to ACU
you will not regret it!
i went to catholic school all my life

i can honestly say that the teachers which went to ACU are much much MUCH better than the other crap that came from UWS, USYD....

it's weird but they seem to know more stuff, more caring to people and relationship with students are much closer when compared to other teachers who just hates the world entirely...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
why is that? :confused:
Because none of the qualifications that I will have carry QTS - A masters degree in education, even in an area like teaching and curriculum studies, does not carry QTS, mostly because it doesn't focus on issues like classroom control and lesson planning and all that sort of stuff.
coz most of my teachers said that they did a BA or Bsci and then they did 1 extra year (in the education faculty), to become a secondary skool teacher. :S
That 'extra year' would be doing a DipEd, which gives them QTS. Incidentally, these rules were only recently changed, so a lot of private school teachers have only recently got QTS, because they were only recently required to get it.
anyways, i think u'll b over qualified to bcome a high school teacher- maybe u should just bcome a lecturer or work as a think tank or something. :D
I would be over-qualified for a HS teaching role, I just find it absurd that someone with a BEd, having done maybe a year of Uni Science, is considered qualified to teach Chemistry, but I will not be qualified, even with a double major and honours in the subject, plus a PhD looking at Chemistry Education. It's just bureaucratic BS. I will consider an academic role, but most good science education research is done outside Australia.

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by redslert

i can honestly say that the teachers which went to ACU are much much MUCH better than the other crap that came from UWS, USYD....
I wouldn't say that teachers who came from UWS & USYD are crap. I had a few teachers who came from these unis & are excellent teachers.
But than, I had alot of crappy teachers too...I don't really know which uni they went to though....

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Originally posted by juventino
* doubtful look* you serious?
Yes. Maybe you should do some research before looking so doubtful :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
not always, theres a lot of graduates that dont get offered jobs in australia and then need to look overseas for work.
That is due to their own performance rather than the university (which may be what you meant in reponding to Cyph, but given the title of the thread...).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
UOW has the best teaching degree. end of story. :p
Santa is right. end of story :p

Actually, UOW has a very good education and teaching department and graduates end up teaching at a variety of schools from the sydney private schools to the western sydney and illawarra public schools..... which I guess proves that as a degree goes, its solid but when it comes to getting a job, it comes down to the individual.

And it's quite scary when the State Education Department interviews you. My girlfriend when applying for a english faculty position, they went right through her details to the point the even had her HSC results and were so detailed in their background information check that it was almost like an invasion of privacy. I was checked for criminal convictions and the like because I was living with her... it was quite bizarre but I guess it was understandable due to the nature of the job.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
even ur history was checked?...thats going a bit far i reckon...
I guess its just to make sure that students have the best possible chance of not making contact with a serial murderer or something like that... It wasn't a big thing, they were just checking out a few details which may reveal some undesirable characteristics for a teacher.... but she got the job so all ended well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)