• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What law subject do you find most interesting? (1 Viewer)

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Buisness, criminal, property, court law or a bunch of others I've probably fogotten. What's most interesting to you and why?

T

thegovernator

Order of hierarchy from what' I've studied so far at UTS:

(1) Criminal Law - very interesting
(2) Contract Law - quite interesting
(3) Tort Law - some interesting cases
(4) Legal Research - interesting and great practical value
(5) Legal Process & History - tolerable
(6) Federal Constitutional Law - boring

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
thegovernator said:
(1) Criminal Law - very interesting
Would this be an indication of the area of practice you'll aim for after graduation, say if you found commercial law to be only moderately interesting?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
What's Tort?
Torts are civil wrongs such as
Negligence
Civil Battery/ Assault
Trespass to goods
etc...
Basically suing people.

I enjoyed Criminal Law and Law Foundation, Contracts was ok but pretty boring, Torts was like Contracts but with some funnier cases.

Property, Equity, Consitutional and Administrative this semester sound snore worthy...International Law should be interesting though.

T

thegovernator

jackmurray: someone else might be able to provide a better definition but in laymans terms when you think about tort law, think about taking civil action against someone (suing for damages), or trying to get a settlement because one party/s has wronged another party/s.

there are a lot of 'torts' out there such as the tort of negligence for instance. so if someone has engaged in negligent conduct, and where a plaintiff (the person sueing) can demonstrate some form of quantifiable loss or damage, they may be entitled to sue them providing you can satisfy all of the requisite elements of the tort;

(1) the factual circumstances of the case fall into one in which there is a recognised duty of care owed to the plaintiff OR one where there SHOULD be a duty of care recognised at law,
(2) that the particular duty has been breached,
(3) causation/remoteness of damage

etc

RogueAcademic: Nah, it's not an indication really. I think I'll get into corporate law. but all that could change if I find that I hate the area after studying it.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Fair enough, torts sounds like it would be interesting as well. I'm looking at moving into the federal police when I've got my degree so I'm not too interested in buisness law or legal practice which means most of my focus will be on criminal law so I'm glad that's an interesting subject.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
Crims great, I really enjoyed it. Tort and Contract sound ok as well, thats what I'm doing this year.

dude01

HSC
Crim is over rated... it was harder than I expected too. Not really that fun or great! Torts is the most interesting/easiest to learn imo.

Contracts was pure torture... very long/boring cases.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Loved torts, hated civil procedure and the introduction subjects. I'm doing contracts this year, so I'll be interested to see if I like it or hate it.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I really liked torts possibly more so than crim. But I might just be pretendin torts was all good as I didn't have the best crim experience

L

LaraB

Intro to Law - very uninteresting, although it was perhaps due to the teaching style adopted

Criminal Law - loved it, interesting and well taught and lead to a couple of useful employment connections :)

Law Foundations - very interesting as it covered such a broad range of areas of influence upon and of the law. Being an easy subject to gain high marks in didn't hurt either ;)

Torts Law - didn't really like it, i found the content quite uninteresting but that's probably more a reflection of personal opinion than the content of the area. Didn't enjoy having it in first semester either.

Contracts Law - same as above, I don't find these kinds of areas all that interesting personally.

Property Law - a little more interesting that contracts but not all that much.

Constitutional Law - enjoyed this unit a lot although i can't really say how much of that was a reflection of my interest in the topic rather than a reflection of the excellent teacher who taught and coordinated the unit

Administrative Law - despite not enjoying the way this was taught, the way it was structured or the style of assessment feedback, i still really enjoyed this unit. There were quite a few interesting/unusual cases and i think I enjoy the more i suppose you could say "subjective" nature of admin law :)

PnoidAndroid

HSC
Property Law - UTS closed book exam. YEH!!!!!! iv never tried so hard in my life.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Closed book property law exam? Is that even legal?

It better have been multiple choice. Otherwise I think I've discovered why the suicide rate is so high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)