• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What Prelim. chemistry concepts do u need for yr 12 (1 Viewer)

Mehae

HSC
thanks, im a bit worried that i might not understand the hsc course as ive already forgotten a lot of the prelim. material

with-chu

HSC
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing too.
I'd like to revise the important concepts learnt in prelim before HSC work begins in a bit more than a week...

What else would be suggested we do in these holidays to be best prepared for HSC chemistry? Would reading about the first module in the textbook help?

K

khorne

Nothing will be directly tested, but everything will be "assumed", so potentially, they can ask questions and do work, which builds on the foundations of year 11.

Sarebs

HSC
People..... DON'T FORGET MOLES! They still hammer the crap out of them in year 12, so get them down pat in year 11.

And just the basics like being able to write balanced equations, and it's helpful to remember about ionics and covalents and things like that.

Mehae

HSC
Anything specific from the topic of water? cause i think i blacked out for like half of that topic, lol

with-chu

HSC
I blacked out in second half of energy... lol; do I need to go over hydrocarbons? =S

Sarebs

HSC
Uh the topic of water. I don't even remember it sorry. Whoops

But it could be helpful for your choice topic, although you won't do it until term three. Just remember the basic skills from the topic.

Oh enthalpy was in there I think... remember that!

EDIT: Yeah we seem to talk about hydrocarbons a lot, so just go over it a bit.

h3ll h0und

HSC
I blacked out in second half of energy... lol; do I need to go over hydrocarbons? =S
i think the first module has a lot to do with hydrocarbons and stuff from prelim energy module. e.g they start talking about the cracking of hydrcarbons, ethylene (ethene) , addition reactions etc etc the second module i think has a lot to do with the module 'water' from prelim... the rest im not so sure about the rest. and my frendz hu do accelerated chem tell me, as sareb mentioned, you have to know ur moles stuff.

Johanist

HSC
Prelim was just the foundation of the Year 12 course. Year 12 is just gonna be the topics learn't in prelim just expanded. I'm pretty sure you need a good grasp of the main concepts learn't in Prelim for HSC. Of course there's gonna be loads more new content that the prelim content wouldn't be as significant.

The topic of energy will be expanded in production of materials i think
Water topic is expanded in chemical monitoring?
Metal is expanded in Acidic environment?

Not sure about water and metal.

The practical concepts like enthalpy and mole concept will be needed for year 12. (All calculation concepts, balancing etc.)

Umm.. if you want to get a better grasp of the concepts needed for year 12 look at the year 12 syllabus i guess.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
know how to balance equations. This was assumed knowledge for Prelim actually. stupid teachers didn't show us to do it because they "assumed" that we knew it. Few things will be revisited next term so make sure you know everything.

Chemistry isn't that much of a pain. Maths is worse. You actually have to know around 30% of the content from Maths for your HSC. How stupid. But maths is my best subject, so meh, I don't care. :p

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Moles and Hydrocarbons. As long as you have a rough idea of those 2 you should be fine. You don't need to know the rest.

h3ll h0und

HSC
wat about all the intramolecular forces (dispersion, hydrogen bonding, ion-dipole, dipole-dipole etc) which we learnt in water?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
They're not gonna test you on it, but you have to know it to do Year 12 Chemistry

h3ll h0und

HSC
which science do u reckon has the most maths in it? i think physics does...partly y i like it better than the others (cuz i luv maths =D)

maths>physics>chem>bio>english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)