• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what rankings do i need if i want a UAI of 96.95? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
In that case, it does not affect the 2nd top person but who knows? the second top person might be affected by the people below them. And you are right. You don't get affected if you come first both externall and internally. That's why people tell you to care more about rank than marks as they are more important.
So if Mr X. who is currently ranking 2nd does get affected by the people below him such as the 3rd ranked person, how does Mrs Y. ranking 1st doesn't get affected at all? Wouldn't both 1st and 2nd get affected, or is this an exception? *Stares at the screen with confusion*

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
x.Exhaust.x said:
So if Mr X. who is currently ranking 2nd does get affected by the people below him such as the 3rd ranked person, how does Mrs Y. ranking 1st doesn't get affected at all? Wouldn't both 1st and 2nd get affected, or is this an exception? *Stares at the screen with confusion*
Internal = determined by your rank at school. If you come first, you will get the top HSC mark in your year as your internal.

External = whatever you get

This is the scenario:

John, Steven and Namu are currenty top 3 in maths.

John = first in the internal (school) and first in HSC with 99.

So he gets 99 for his internal (he gets the top HSC mark in the year as his internal) and get 99 for his external (because he got it)

Steven = second in the internal and third in HSC with 94. (and the 2nd top HSC mark was by Namu who got 95)

So he gets 95 as his internal due to his rank and maintains his 94 as his external because he got it.

Namu = third in the internal and second in HSC with 95 (and the 3rd top HSC mark was by Steven who got 94)

so namu gets 94 as his internal due to his rank and maintains his 95 as his external because he got it.

This way, the top student john was not affected because he came first in both. But Steven and Namu affected each other. Steven was affected in a positive way because he got higher mark in internal due to Namu. But Namu, unfortunately received 94 in his internal. This affected namu in a negative manner.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
So if ur ranked first in all subjects in ur school will it be extermely difficult to get a uai estimate because ur marks will then depend on ur externals?
Exactly.

charlesdinio

HSC
Hey guys..

Along the same lines, I have a predicament..

Take a stab at my UAI if my ranks are:

English 50/160
Maths 20/40
Business 2/70
Legal 1/40
PDHPE 2/80

I'm wondering what my horrid english and maths ranks are going to do to me..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
charlesdinio said:
Hey guys..

Along the same lines, I have a predicament..

Take a stab at my UAI if my ranks are:

English 50/160
Maths 20/40
Business 2/70
Legal 1/40
PDHPE 2/80

I'm wondering what my horrid english and maths ranks are going to do to me..
What about school rank? Any info on that?

jellybelly59 said:
LOL poor namu :(
I know. That will not happen in reality though.

charlesdinio

HSC
lyounamu said:
What about school rank? Any info on that?
Ah.. sorry mate, give or take a few, 50th? And my grade is reasonably smarter than the previous one.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I would guess about 95. What are you aiming for?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
No. Only way you can get affected is in a positive manner.

What I mean by that is:

you came first in the year at school. you do hsc and get 90 as your external mark. but you didn't come first in hsc (omg) but don't worry you will only get higher mark in that case. someone who beat you got 92 in hsc. his/her mark will become your internal mark as you came first in the year now, what happens to your 90? it becomes the internal mark of whoever came second in the year. and you keep your 90 as your external so you get 92 and 90 which averages to 91.

that's why it's sometimes good to attend academically superior schools like JRAGH or NSGH or Hornsby Girls because you can get pulled up. (potentially)
Well, I'm coming top 3 in everything so hopefully I can keep it up :cold: Thanks for that Namu.
lyounamu said:
But Namu, unfortunately received 94 in his internal. This affected namu in a negative manner.
lol, 'unfortunately'. 94 is still good though ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)