• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What should I drop for year 12? HELP! (1 Viewer)

capricorn95

HSC
I'm doing Advanced English and Math, DAT, Legal Studies, Modern History, Business and SOR1
So.. the idea was to drop DAT, take on History EXT and drop legal and continue doing the other subjects
After receiving my ranks etc I've discovered that I am reallllly not good at Math, and never have been.
I've always been in the top Maths classes etc, but it's one of those subjects where I just can't seem to get good marks in.
My ranks for my subjects were culmalative and im ranked in the top 10 for history, english, dat and business. Seeing as how I wanted to drop legal as soon as I sat down in the class I decided there was no point in trying/taking down notes etc if I was gonna drop.. I didn't touch a textbook and haven't read anything for the whole year and all I do in class is sleep. But im ranked in the middle and my mark is one below average. In comparison to my math mark (which I have a tutor for) im like 10 below the average. I have to keep sor1 because it's compulsary but im like 34/91 without trying or anything so I guess its fine. With maths, I just automatically assumed I would be doing it for my HSC because of my parents' influence etc but now that I think about it.. I'm not too sure. Ive heard stories how people regret dropping maths in highschool and I dont want to be like that..
So my idea is to drop DAT and keep all my subjects (including legal and I guess i'll just have to start working hard at it..) and with history extension as an add on. Knowing my math mark won't be good, I'll be focusing on legal. I really dont want to drop math because I may consider doing finance (not too sure yet) but I dont want to get to uni and be rejected because I didnt do it in highschool, and teachers are telling me that it doesn't matter but my schools a disgrace so I dont trust their opinion..
I'm aiming for a 95+ atar and I know its impossible without History ext so it's a must.. so for the HSC ill be doing Advanced English and Math, Legal Studies, Modern History, Business, SOR1 and History EXT.
Ideas? :)

xdosha

HSC
Is your SOR compulsory, even through year 12?

barbernator

HSC
I'm aiming for a 95+ atar and I know its impossible without History ext so it's a must..
??? how is it impossible without History Extension. History extension is a 1 unit subject, which does scale better than your other subjects, but not greatly. If you are really good at History and enjoy it, go for it, but don't feel you have to do it, because it will not be the sole determinant of whether you get 95 or not.

Mdzabakly

HSC
??? how is it impossible without History Extension. History extension is a 1 unit subject, which does scale better than your other subjects, but not greatly. If you are really good at History and enjoy it, go for it, but don't feel you have to do it, because it will not be the sole determinant of whether you get 95 or not.
i saw that 2 and i though, what is he thinking ? but maybe he ment that he thinks he can do really well in history so its his a good way for him to get 95++, b

capricorn95

HSC
And yeah that's what I mean - hist ext is a high scaling subject and I genuinely enjoy the topic as well as Modern
The only problem is with Legal/Mathematics
Im scared that 12 units will be a big load for me.. but I know that I wont get a good score in Maths but I don't want to drop it just incase I choose to do finance..

HSC
Drop maths if you want, youll be good with legal studies as long as u study cause u dont need yr 11 stuff for yr 12 for legal studies.

HSC
history extensions pretty gay, very time consuming and some random mind fuck shit which pissess u off

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I believe since you say SOR is compulsory you go to a catholic school, i'm quite sure you can drop it and they just force you to take catholic studies don't they?

capricorn95

HSC
really? am i at a disadvantage though, not knowing any year 11 stuff?
and I am able to go down to catholic studies but it wont count as a unit towards my hsc course

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
But since your not trying i'd advise to stay put with ur units, maybe just time management with subjects, ur weaker one give more of ur time. Maths is just drill most of the time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)