• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What should I drop? (1 Viewer)

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
I have a hard choice to make.

The subjects I am doing are:

English
Math Advanced
English Ext. 1
Math Ext. 1
Engineering Studies
Physics
Software Design and Development

I hope to go to Spain on 2 month exchange at the end of this year (11-12). My principal has agreed on 'principle' (hes a funny guy?) to let me go based on the fact that it would further my studies as part of a open high school beginners Spanish course.

I have about 7 frees a week because of having 4 offline units (Extensions and Software is cross campus) but Open High School rules say you can only do a maximum of 13 units including the course (which is two). I'm currently on 12 which means I have to drop something (by tomorrow too.. haha) which has screwed me up bigtime.

I am enjoying English at the moment and I'm enjoying extension 1 (we haven't really done much work so I don't know). I got 15/14 on alot of assignments in English but only got 80 which is low for my school on the SC.

I want to be good at Physics but I am really terrible and my teacher says that I need to concentrate/take better notes/stuff like that and hes not a bad teacher but he really hasn't explained anything and the whole class doesn't really like him. If I dropped physics I would have a crazy amount of frees which isn't neccessarily a good thing. Like 20 frees a fortnight, or around that.

The other option is that I just give up on going to Spain and concede defeat.

I really need help guys and would appreciate any input; thanks.

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
what r u aiming to study later on????
Thats something I'm not too sure about; preferably something computer based but I really cannot confidently say I want to do one thing. My brother does a computer science degree and has never needed physics.

carmot

HSC
Well, if you're really looking forward to your exchange at the end of the year, then definitely keep Spanish. How do you feel about SDD or Engineering Studies?

If you find that you don't really need physics for the future, and that you're still not going too well, then that would probably be your best choice to drop. Is the main problem with the massive amount of frees simply that you don't have anything to do? I have a friend who does a subject at Open High and one through Saturday School, and she pretty much has that timetable layout, but she just uses that time to do her studying for Open High. Does your school let you come late/leave early if you have frees?

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
They let us leave late definitely and early I can probarbly negotiate that to be allowed if I have a free first.

carmot

HSC
Well, dropping physics seems to let you come late/leave early most days...unless they feel mean and only your middle periods are free :D I don't really see much of a problem with dropping physics, especially since the rest of your subjects seem to be ok, and that you probably won't need it in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)