• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What Subject Should I Drop? Need Advice! (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Heyy!
We need to decide on dropping subjects by the end of next week and I am really stressing out!
I am currently doing 13 units, and am basically deciding on dropping either Chemistry or Maths Extension.

Chemistry has been a major fail for me during preliminary. At first, when I saw the syllabus, I was sort of interested in it, but my teacher is pathetic at teaching. He does not teach anything and expects us to get full marks. It gets really frustrating, because I have to concentrate on other subjects and can't keep worrying about Chemistry. However, since I have the same teacher for next year, I am absolutely willing to self teach myself and learn by various textbooks.

On the other hand, I have Maths Extension, and although I have one of the best teachers who is always willing to help, I have not tried my hardest this year either, and I am not sure whther I should keep it. I

I don't like one of the subjects more than the other and I am not sure which one I should drop.
Otherwise, I could keep both, and the one I am failing at, I could drop before trials?

PLEASE HELP!

enoilgam

HSC
Just stay in the subjects for now and see how it goes. I'd be leaning more towards chemistry, as you arent doing too well in it. But I can see that your unsure, so just give it some time before you drop.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Spiral's 10 questions.

Question 1: Which one do you enjoy?

Question 2: Have you checked what you will be learning next year?

Question 3: Will you be provided enough resources for the respective subjects?

Question 4: How strong are you with each subject?

Question 5: Can you keep 13 units? If so, you might want to keep it and decide throughout the year.

Question 6: Will any of your other subjects suffer if you keep one of the subjects?

Question 7: Have you spoken with any teachers and friends?

Question 8: Do you think you will try in Mathematics next year?

Question 9: Which subjects will make you stress more?

Question 10: Do you have any cookies? Spiral is hungry.

From what I have just seen, it might be best if you kept both for a little while. See how you go in the first few weeks.

Last edited:

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Spiral's 10 questions.

Question 1: Which one do you enjoy?

Question 2: Have you checked what you will be learning next year?

Question 3: Will you be provided enough resources for the respective subjects?

Question 4: How strong are you with each subject?

Question 5: Can you keep 13 units? If so, you might want to keep it and decide throughout the year.

Question 6: Will any of your other subjects suffer if you drop one of the subjects?

Question 7: Have you spoken with any teachers and friends?

Question 8: Do you think you will try in Mathematics next year?

Question 9: Which subjects will make you stress more?

Question 10: Do you have any cookies? Spiral is hungry.
1. I don't enjoy either one of them. Sounds blunt, but I really don't like both of them. It really has to do with the teachers, and the style of teachings methods that make me dislike both of them.
2. No, I haven't. Should I?
3. Maths Ext will be given alot of resources and worksheets because my teacher is dedicated, but my Chemistry teachers photocopies the textbook as handouts and tells us to 'highlight this sentence' or 're-write this sentence' SO BAD.
4. None of them :)
5. My school allows us to keep 13 units :)
6. Mm, I don't think so, my other subjects are pretty average and I am fairly okay with them so no.
7. I have spoken to both my teachers and their advice is that 'It all depends on whether I think I can do it' --- they would not provide me with any other advice :(
8. YES I ABSOLUTELY WILL. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
9. In all honesty, Chemistry, because the teachers is pathetic, and I would have to study by myself and learn everything by myself.

10. Yes I do! I have double chocolate and macadamia cookies! Want some?!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
1. Why are you doing them for? You're a scaler!

2. You should if you don't check what you learn, it's like driving blind into a tree on purpose.

3. There should be sufficient resources for both your subjects.

4. Mmm, refer to comment 1.

5. Good! You can decide then!

6. Think deeply about this one.

7. What about your human companions?

8. Yay! Makes Spiral happy.

9. Stress is bad. Very bad. Health first.

10. Give me some! I am sick of eating human!

In conclusion if you don't enjoy subjects you might find it hard to study for them. But nevertheless, I would say Mathematics. However I would still keep both just in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)