• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what type of english should i pick? (2 Viewers)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
cause i can cope with standard thats just too pathetic and low... i mean im getting decent marks and im sure i'll be able to improve for advanced but just not sure about taking ext 1 english
Just do Advanced English then. My school has been around for 33 years but the only one kid ever got a Band 6 in Advanced English and he didn't even do Extension 1 English. He did Extension 1 & 2 Mathematics though.

Last edited:

H. Caulfield

HSC
LMAO, are u that bad at maths also?

english is 2 units...
ur hsc is 10 units
majority means more than half

try gen maths, standard english
Lay off him, he probably got it confused with English being the only subject that definitely 'counts' . It is pretty important uai wise

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
English as any other subject only scales marks up if your marks are good. I saw classmates in my year of the HSC, who got a band 6 in standard, and scored a much higher UAI than those who got a band 4 in advanced english. My piece of advice is if you are not good at english DO NOT do a adv, or xtn simply because you think it will scale you up, as if your marks are not good, it wont. Maybe if youre good at maths, do xtn or 2U in that and do standard as youll probably ace that.
However I must warn you that Advanced is very hard (xtn even more), BUT very useful later on as law degrees and some other highly qualified ones, require ADVANCED or higher. most other ones require any 2 units of english, so its really depending on what you want to do.
Shit advice - don't listen to it.

Have you compared the scaling for Advanced and Standard? The maximum scaled mark for Advanced is 100 but for Standard its a measly 92.2. Furthermore, the scaled mark for top 1% in Advanced is 92.8 but for Standard its only 74. In short: its WAY easier to get marks in Advanced.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
I suggest you find out what texts and focusses you will be studying in adv and ext english. If you find something you like, then you should take up ext, however, if you don't then don't bother. Alot of people have fallen victim to what they deem as scaling subjects - in the end, it all depends on how well YOU do.

Hope that helps.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Hardly motivates you when you do well but know you'll get a shit scaled mark though

HSC
It's all about whether you enjoy English. Do you?

I regret not having done English Ext, if only for prelim. I really started enjoying English in year 11, and it would have been nice to have the option to do English Ext in year 12.

If your still undecided by the end of this thread, then I would suggest just doing English Ext, and dropping it if you find that you don't like it. Better safe than sorry, eh?
yeah thats what pretty much everyones saying (thanks for the advice by the way), that pick ext english for year 11 and then drop it for year 12....

HSC
English as any other subject only scales marks up if your marks are good. I saw classmates in my year of the HSC, who got a band 6 in standard, and scored a much higher UAI than those who got a band 4 in advanced english. My piece of advice is if you are not good at english DO NOT do a adv, or xtn simply because you think it will scale you up, as if your marks are not good, it wont. Maybe if youre good at maths, do xtn or 2U in that and do standard as youll probably ace that.
However I must warn you that Advanced is very hard (xtn even more), BUT very useful later on as law degrees and some other highly qualified ones, require ADVANCED or higher. most other ones require any 2 units of english, so its really depending on what you want to do.
yeah i see a lot of validity in your point... cause yeah your're right.... that i shouldnt pick english just cause it mighyt scale my marks up... cause if im not any good at it... i will fail miserably...

and by the way alot of people say that ext english is much easier than adv english, now is that true?

BabyK

HSC
yeah i see a lot of validity in your point... cause yeah your're right.... that i shouldnt pick english just cause it mighyt scale my marks up... cause if im not any good at it... i will fail miserably...

and by the way alot of people say that ext english is much easier than adv english, now is that true?
Extension is more creative, however advanced is still compulsory for it, you can't just do extension on it's own until year 12 where you can have ext 1 and ext 2, without advanced, however for ext 2 you will have to write a novel.

Don't be discouraged however, english is a subject that simply needs a lot of study time (double your other subjects should be an indication, e.g. maths 1hr study, then english should be 2hrs study per night), but if you really want to, you will succeed. definitely don't use marks such as those from your school certificate as a guide, because they pretty much count for nothing if you're sitting the HSC. When choosing subjects awlays keep in mind what you want to do in the end, e.g. if you want to do medicine don't worry about adv english, concentrate on chemistry and biology etc. not on subjects that will later be irrelevant

Schoey93

HSC
Extension is more creative, however advanced is still compulsory for it, you can't just do extension on it's own until year 12 where you can have ext 1 and ext 2, without advanced, however for ext 2 you will have to write a novel.

Don't be discouraged however, english is a subject that simply needs a lot of study time (double your other subjects should be an indication, e.g. maths 1hr study, then english should be 2hrs study per night), but if you really want to, you will succeed. definitely don't use marks such as those from your school certificate as a guide, because they pretty much count for nothing if you're sitting the HSC. When choosing subjects awlays keep in mind what you want to do in the end, e.g. if you want to do medicine don't worry about adv english, concentrate on chemistry and biology etc. not on subjects that will later be irrelevant
Extension ftw imo. I've wanted to do it since Year 8 English with Ms Carlino ahahaha. Sad, but true. And if you don't want extension that kk. just do what you like, and what interests you @ OP.

I'm on caffeine atm. So I'm typing this sooo fast. COFFEE will get you through the HSC. Believe me. It WILL get you through. :)

james.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I'm on caffeine atm. So I'm typing this sooo fast. COFFEE will get you through the HSC. Believe me. It WILL get you through. :)

james.
not quite sure how you know what will and wont get you through the HSC.

My advice to the OP - If you interested in Ext, give it a go and assuming that you've taken it as an extra unit you can drop it during year eleven or after it. Ext is very different to advanced, I personally enjoy it more and am looking at doing Ext 2 but its all up the the individual. If you like english give it a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)